Problems with hot water cylinder heating system - pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had quite a few problems with my hot water cylinder system and just as many plumbers to try to fix each one but with little success (and they usually leave me another problem). The system has a peak and off peak switch and I live in a first floor flat. I am at a loss at what to do next and would be grateful for any advice that someone can give me - see my problems below.

The problems I have had:
1. Initially started with the cold water tank banging and overheating in the middle of the night. Once I switched the off peak switch off it stopped.

I had a plumber come and advise me the thermostat needed changing. He changed it.

2. This 'fix' stopped the banging but the off peak system didn't seem to heat the water after that so I had to rely on the immersion switch.

3. At the same time I had problems with my shower - I have a mira event xs thermostatic shower. Basically after around 10 minutes it sounded like the motor sped up and then the pressure from the shower head would reduce so no water would come out! Then the water would start coming out again after 15 seconds. It would keep on doing this. If you bring the shower head down the water would start coming out.

I got the mira engineer out who said I had the wrong shower for my flat - the shower was higher than the hot water tank! What I can't understand is that the shower was fine for 5 years and just started playing up now.

4. Anyway, as problem 2 and 3 were not sorted, a plumber changed my hot water tank, put a new ball valve and put two new elements and thermostats. This gave me another problem. Previously I could take a shower for as long as I liked but now it only lasts for 15 minutes before the hot water runs out - both the peak and off peak thermostats are on the max temperature.

5. My problem with the shower went away for a couple of months but now seems to be coming back. Now I can hear the motor speed up once I put the shower on.

6. The final problem - as my hot water tank has low pressure I had a water pump fitted in a few years ago. Anyway, since I got the hot water tank changed the toilet flush has become a bit tempremental. Usually, once I flush the toilet the pump kicks in. At the moment, this does not happen and the pump only kicks in once I open the bathroom sink tap. How do you explain that?

Anyway, all of the above means I don't know what to do to resolve all these problems. I have been advised that I should just change the system and put in a 'direct unvented cylinder' - that will cost £1150.

Should I go down that route? Will it solve all my problems?

Or is there an alternative solution.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Just posted some photos in my album....let me know ifyou can see them.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1. Initially started with the cold water tank banging and overheating in the middle of the night. Once I switched the off peak switch off it stopped.

I had a plumber come and advise me the thermostat needed changing. He changed it.
ok

2. This 'fix' stopped the banging but the off peak system didn't seem to heat the water after that so I had to rely on the immersion switch.
what was the stat set to and was it working before he left ?
what do you mean rely on the immersion switch ?
they are both immersions do you mean the peak immersion ?

3. At the same time I had problems with my shower - I have a mira event xs thermostatic shower. Basically after around 10 minutes it sounded like the motor sped up and then the pressure from the shower head would reduce so no water would come out! Then the water would start coming out again after 15 seconds. It would keep on doing this. If you bring the shower head down the water would start coming out.

sounds like it's just airlocked.
useal symptoms.

I got the mira engineer out who said I had the wrong shower for my flat - the shower was higher than the hot water tank! What I can't understand is that the shower was fine for 5 years and just started playing up now.

yes not really the right shower for the height of the cws.

4. Anyway, as problem 2 and 3 were not sorted, a plumber changed my hot water tank, put a new ball valve and put two new elements and thermostats. This gave me another problem. Previously I could take a shower for as long as I liked but now it only lasts for 15 minutes before the hot water runs out

about right for a hw cylinder that size

5. My problem with the shower went away for a couple of months but now seems to be coming back. Now I can hear the motor speed up once I put the shower on.

try checking the filters for crud.

6. The final problem - as my hot water tank has low pressure I had a water pump fitted in a few years ago.

you shouldn't have a pump fitted to this shower it already has it's own internal pump.

Anyway, since I got the hot water tank changed the toilet flush has become a bit tempremental. Usually, once I flush the toilet the pump kicks in. At the moment, this does not happen and the pump only kicks in once I open the bathroom sink tap. How do you explain that?

poss not enough flow to activate the pump.
again poss filters blocked in pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back