Problems with plastering HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had two plasterers in recently to bond and skim some walls. I'm finding it virtually impossible to measure the quality of their work - what do I look for? I've run a straight edge over the walls and there are 2-5mm gaps in places and they feel slightly wavy to touch. I've checked the levels against the skirting and cornices and here again, it's not exactly spot on. Is this common? if not, how do I rectify it?

Sponsored Links
Hello Gustav and Welcome.

Sounds like you're being over critical. Got any pics?

Yes, I'm probably being a over paranoid - it's just that when I run a straight edge over the wall - gaps seem to appear everywhere. The whole experience of working with plasterers has been a blast...... the plasterer I'm working with at the moment spent some time showing me where the first plasterer messed up and of course, I'm now using the same method to check his plastering. One thing that all the plasterers who've viewed the job have said is that 'a few layers of paint will even it all out'. So yeah, maybe I should just relax and drop the spirit level :oops:

2mm ok.....5 a bit much......my son`s a plasterer, and his wife`s dad was for years...get my rooms done for £100 each :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Where do you stand with a job where the differenbce is more than 5mm. I have checked outr conservatory job and from one end of the wall to the other tere is up to 8mm difference and the two front dwarf walls one is almost 10mm narrower than the other. He reckons he went to the line of the wall and despite me complaining to the conservatorycompany it seems they are not interested.

did you check the wall with the straight edge before the plasterer started? Re-skimming a wall that is out will be nearly the same once its finished appart from it being smooth. Applying a 2mm - 5mm coat to a wall will leave you with the same shaped wall, getting the wall flat is in the floating coat or dabbing boards on flat. also dont beleive it will look sweet once its painted, if it doesnt look right now it wont later.

Thanks. In my case, the wall doesn't look right now and the plasterer has told me that a re-skim will sort out any problems. Though what really bothers me is the generally uneven surface and a new set of problems with cracks. I was told that these hairline cracks were normal but on investigation found that they followed the exact course of cracks in the old bonding which the plasterer had just skimmed over.

if there were cracks in the original wall they should of been taped before skimming this wont guarantee the cracks will disappear it will just reduce the chances of them re-appearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back