Product or method to dissolve/remove wall tile adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps

We have had our old floor standing boiler relocated away from the fireplace in our kitchen. The fireplace was tiled maybe 20 years ago, a real botch job i.e. not much grout and just tiled around the boiler, not behind it. So now we have a big gap left where the unit used to be. I can see that underneath is another complete layer of tiles that we actually quite like as they fit the style of our 30s house

Is there a way to remove the top layer of manky tiles and preserve the layer underneath? Our biggest problem is that the top layer is stuck with huge blobs of tile adhesive and I don't know how to remove it without damaging the surface of the second layer. By the way the second layer is not your average glazed tile, it's a teracotta matt kind of surface, and the tiles are quite small.

Any advice gratefully received. I should mention I'm in the UK in case anyone is going to suggest a particular product.

cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back