Proetus RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to get a Proetus 32a RCBO. Cut a long story short, my mates parents are having the lounge/dining room refurbished and im moving some light switches and the exisiting pendants. While ive been there ive noticed the shower is fed from a 32a MCB on the non RCD side of the split CU.

The CU is original to the house (built 19 years ago) and in good working order. RCD replaced a few months ago due to the old one failing (not by me btw). Seems a waste to just replace it so the way i see it there's two options. Fit an RCD in an enclosure external to the CU for the shower or swap the MCB for an RCBO if they exisit.

So is it possible to get an RCBO for a 19 year old Proetus CU, have a strong feeling the answers going to be no but thought it was worth asking.

Cheers guys
Dan

Sponsored Links
What sort of proteus MCB? Similar to the Wylex NN range? Can you post a piccy? Under the 16th edition regs showers didn't need protected by RCD, however it is recommended and must be installed if the shower manufacturer specifies it.

Try your local City Electrical Factors.

Its their brand, so if anyone can help, its them. Not keen on proteus or Chitty's myself tho.

Hi Guys / Spark123,

Just done a little more searching on google and looks like CEF still sell them so i'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Spark123 - Yes they look similar to the Wylex NB range, cant get a pic until saturday sorry. I knew showers didn't need RCD protection under the 16th (unless the manufacturer specified it) but for safety's sake I'd like to fit one.

Cheers
Dan

click-sure, thanks for your help, you must have posted as i was replying.

Sponsored Links
There are two models of proteus MCBs.

The old discontinued model does not have an RCBO in its range, but the new style does.

Old Style

New style:

Thats the only pic I have of the new style
Good eh? :LOL:

Do they come with the scorching/melting, or its that just something to look forward to in the middle of the night, or whilst your away on holiday?

No, it is an optional extra.

You need to add the suffix "BURN" to the end of the CU part number.

PROTEUS!!!

Wibble wobble wibble wooble jelly on the wall supplying power to my loved ones!!!

Might as well add ice-cream to the bloody things

If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of them, unlikely the super reds Nottingham Forest :) :) :) :) :)

Don't know if they are interchangeable with the older style board, though Proteus likely would say they wouldn't approve it

I happen to have three 32A Proteus RCBOs left over from a quartet I got on fleabay cheaper than CEF wanted for the one I needed for a job.

I can post a pic if you want and give you the dimensions if you want to see if it will physically fit.

Gavin

The new ones definatly do not fit the old boards.

I've tried.

I'm not a fan of prote-sh*te either. Like all of CEFs gear really

I happen to have three 32A Proteus RCBOs left over from a quartet I got on fleabay cheaper than CEF wanted for the one I needed for a job.

Funny, the same thing happened to me.

Only I bought a nearly new van instead, drove to a wholesaler 60 miles away bought enough RCBO's to do every circuit in the house, drove back and still had enough in my pocket to get a maccy's for tea :LOL:

Yeah, I exaggerate, but I'm no big fan of theirs either.

Thanks Gavin for the pic and dimensions, and thanks to RF too. Looks like i'll have to fit an external RCD for the shower, will be a pita as the showers been wired with 16mm T&E.

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back