professional help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking for a bit of professional help which may improve the finished product

I am decorating a couple of rooms but am just after some general advice on how to get the best results?

1. Which is best sequence of work? ceiling, walls, skirts/ frames?

2. what is best way to fill hairline crack in ceilings/ walls (on board joints)

3. What is a decent brush/ roller to get? dont want to go b&q id dulux decorator centre OK?

4. How can i get the best results cutting in?

Sponsored Links
Hi Dale
this is my first time on this site,hope this helps
1 Ceilings,walls,woodwork (sashes, architraves/doors,skirting)even though i'm a pro decorator I always mask up the skirting (if you've carpet push it down and mask up) this will enable you to cut in more towards the floor and when tape removed carpet springs back and no misses or carpet fibres on your new work
2 cut cracks out using edge of scraper in inverted v shape (or if on the actual plasterboard joints use jointing tape) and fill over this
3 dulux centres are fine Leylands better if you want to keep them you can get a set of purdeys (2",1 1/2",1 ") for about a score, 9" sheepskin or sheepsil (Imitation) are quite reasonable, dulux centres will advise you
4 Take your time load the brush fully don't cut in the morning after the night before
hope this helps
bazza :)

thanks for the info, i have seen alot of stuff on this v for filling but is it noticable after?

how deep do you have to go?

the problem with the ceilings where on edges of board is the ceilings are artex.

what about around window frames, i use caulk but it still cracks after 6 months

hi dale
no the filling should not be visible after filling and sanding just visually check that it looks flush with walls if it's too deep double fill the cracks.
don't use too much pressure to open cracks your only removing any loose in cracks and providing a proper base for filler

if the cracks are at the wall to ceiling joint and the ceiling's artex there should be about an inch smoothish line around the perimeter of the ceiling wipe some filler into this with your finger and wipe off with a damp cloth (again visually check this
if the gap's quite broad around the window frame i would use a two part filler (tetrion or decorfil) however don't leave this proud as it's hard to rub down better to leave it concave on first fill then flush fill on second
Bazza

Sponsored Links
when caulking corners of walls and the previous caulk has cracked do i remove it and start again?

what is the best way to get a good finish on the caulk?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back