Prog. Not calling on htg, h/w works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2615.JPG IMG_2616.JPG IMG_2617.JPG IMG_2618.JPG IMG_2619.JPG IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2621.JPG IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2629.JPG IMG_2629.JPGIMG_2630.JPG Stelflow unvented cyl
S plan
Worcester Greenstar system compact
Problem is the prog doesn't control the heating.
Prog controls hw side fine.
Heating only works via room stat. Stat operates divertor correctly and shuts boiler down.
But try to control via programmer! It does nothing.

One thing ? The switch live from boiler to cylinder wiring centre and the L & N (out)??? I've disconnected the L, N and just kept the S/L. As when I turned spur off , I was still getting power from wiring centre , as wiring centre had its own independent power(fuse spur).
Instructions say nothing about hw off connection?
There's another s/l terminal but this is on a sensor terminal strip on wiring centre. I do t think I need to use this

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does anyone think it could be simple? Like a missing link?
There's no signal from prog to call for heat or satisfied.
Only room stat controls call for heat.
Swapped out prog and stat with known good ones, same issue.
Cylinder wiring centre is plug and play for all the divertors. And there's propper soldered traces linking connections
So all I did was connect all controls to their designated place.

Thankyou for your help. on the schematic it shows to fit link. Remove it and room stat looses power.

Sponsored Links
It says to fit link to ch1 and 2? I never did link to ch2 as we only have one room stat. Maybe it need to fit link to ch2 also?

You would fit that link if you only had a single channel clock to control the hot water times and programmable thermostat for the heating times and temperatures.
You have a 2 channel clock for the water and heating times.
That link just bypasses the heating times on the clock. The room stat should get power when the clock is calling for heat.

I can't remember what happened when I removed Link? But don't you think it needs constant power? So you can check temp when its on a off cycle? Normally you have don't you.
Thanks john

If it is powered permanently, like it is now with the link in place, then you have no time control.
If you Google the instructions for your thermostat it says that it has an inbuilt rechargeable battery that should maintain the display for upto 8 hours when there is no call for heat from the clock.

Well thanks again because I have booklet here and it's not in there. Limited info,!unless I'm missing some paper work. Because it has wifi or something and I have no info.
When link gets removed . There is no display? Are you saying there should be?
I know it has a sleep function as I went to turn up and screen was dead till I turned up.
Maybe I seen it was not lit up and thought it was dead? But if I turned up it might come to life.
I'm having a look over weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 190
Therma TQX0073 (p5 stat) not showing up on google. But TQX0071 is everywhere!...typical. Probally my luck, plenty for sale but can't see about battery??
I hope your right about link Pbecause everything is straight forward which narrows down to simple fault.

-Do you have any advice on the mains voltage connections? Like I mentioned at first I was geting power at boiler with spur off. Cylinder wiring centre and boiler had dedicated spurs, but because Worcester has a 230v out terminal which fed the boiler with power when spur was off for boiler.
I removed 230v out and just left S/L , L,N,E

Last edited:
Basically it looks to me like a mismatch of components that aren't really compatible. I'll try to explain how I came to this conclusion.

The diagram you posted is for a different installation to yours. That diagram has a single channel programmer for the hot water and 2 x programmable room thermostats, which is why the link between L & CH1 is required to permanently power the thermostats. Programmable thermostats include both time and temperature control in one unit, so there is no requirement for separate heating time control. Meaning....

1. If you have a programmable room thermostat that does have time and temperature control built in, ie you can set a different room temperature at different times, then how you describe it working, is correct and the CH channel of the programmer shouldn't be doing anything. [Ideally a single channel programmer just for the hot water should have been fitted, (as per the diagram) and not the dual channel programmer with CH control that you have]

2. If your thermostat isn't programmable, then to allow the CH of the programmer to control the heating on/off times, the link shouldn't be present and the circuit board CH1 terminal should only be connected to the programmer's terminal 4. However, if it isn't programmable, there may be a further complication. It appears that you have a wireless room stat receiver (as per your photo below) which does need a permanent mains supply....

stat.JPG

.....and so shouldn't be switched off by the programmer. If this is the case and your thermostat isn't programmable, then:

1. Either the thermostat / receiver needs changing for one that doesn't need a permanent 230V supply, or
2. An additional wire to provide a permanent live supply to the receiver is required, or
3. Get a programmable room thermostat

Hope you can make sense of my ramblings :confused:

Last edited:
Stem? Thankyou very much . I am a lazy reader! And I did read your post twice to get it to stick. All that said, you have explained excellent, and what I'm going to try first is a additional cable to stat
The stat is just that? Not programmable. And it is hard wired. No wireless receiver.
I posted a lot of info and it's a lot to refer to when it's not in front of you on old school paper...lol.
Your help is most welcome and I think you've nailed it.... well done. I'll let you know.
All this kit was created for the system in question! Meaning the manufacturer designed what is needed . So they've dropped a Wotsit? Lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back