Programmable element for towel rail/heater

Thank you very much for the help. It’s not intentionally a wet room and the element is bang on 60cm from the edge of the shower (see pic).

If I added the timer I wanted then it’s size would eat into the 60cm so would not work.

LearningSpark suggested this earlier in the thread. https://www.cnmonline.co.uk/programmable-towel-rail-heating-element.html

Looks like it replaces the element with a basic programmable element (but allows you to add a more sophisticated wireless programmable timer).

It says IPx5, so am I good to go with this one?

62208B58-D5F6-4430-8921-646DEFCCFC16.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Pretty certain it will be waterproof.

There are pleny of elements which are IPX5 which would be satisfactory.

Irrelevant if within a cubicle.

However, the flex outlet should be >60cm. from the shower edge - IF it has actually been used as a connector.
You say you have a Fused Connector on the other side so the cable may have just been passed through the wall.

You can obviously do that with the new one.

Aren't all showers 'walk in'?
I popped open the white flex outlet and it HAS been used as a connector and it is less than 60cm to the edge of the shower. Annoyingly the flex is not long enough to pass through the wall to the fused spur switch. Do I have any other options other than to call the house builder to sort it?

In a straight line from the plug hole (the shower head is directly above the plug hole), the flex outlet is about 180cm away including 60cm from the edge of the shower to the flex. See pic (not to scale).

But the flex outlet is still being used as a connector, is this a problem given my diagram?

CF2A1A7F-E2DA-4F6A-8B0D-D2C5C43DA32A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
This is quite interesting:

Firstly, a towel rail is allowed in zone 1 or 2.

IF you treat the room as a wet room - then >1.2m. from fixed water outlet (in a vertical plane) is outside the zones so you have no problems.

IF you treat the shower as a cubicle - then <60cm. from the edge of the cubicle is in zone 2 so, a switched accessory would not be allowed. The flex outlet being alright.

So - all in all, I would say everything is fine.

Many thanks EFLI, really appreciate it. So it’s no problem that the flex outlet does have the connections inside?

I also checked the other bathroom and same thing - see pic. That flex outlet is less than 60cm from the edge of the bath (where that shampoo bottle is) and it does have connections in it... you think this is OK too?

F98E5FDC-D200-4E67-947D-8F722C19BEBA.jpeg

Many thanks EFLI, really appreciate it. So it’s no problem that the flex outlet does have the connections inside?
No, the regulation says "In zone 2: switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets shall not be installed...".

Perhaps I should have realised that right away.

I also checked the other bathroom and same thing - see pic. That flex outlet is less than 60cm from the edge of the bath (where that shampoo bottle is) and it does have connections in it... you think this is OK too?
Yes.

No, the regulation says "In zone 2: switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets shall not be installed...".

Perhaps I should have realised that right away.

Yes.

Sorry if I’m being thick, but you’re saying that the regs say I shouldn’t have the flex outlet with connections in it in Zone 2? If so, then the other bathroom (the last pic I posted above) is also breaking the rules right?

No, it's only switched accessories (accessories with switches) that are not allowed.

I do think this rather illogical but I suppose the reason is that you will not have to touch them.

Thank you, so I’m good to go?

Having pulled the fused switch spur open on the other side of the wall, there are more wires than I was expecting! So I may be back with a quick wiring question!

Thank you again.

Hi again, I have now picked up my new Fused Timer Spur Switch.

On the back of the old one (showed connected in the pic) it’s labelled as to which is load/supply so should be easy for me to wire.

However there are two earth wires as you can see. I presume that I just connect these to the earth terminals on the new switch? I only ask because as you can see the old one is a metal switch and the new one, also shown in pic is not...

45DFC863-C4DA-4485-82AE-0B2CE111610F.jpeg

5C884123-3592-4DEF-BF90-3C13B88ED0A1.jpeg

No, it's only switched accessories (accessories with switches) that are not allowed.

I do think this rather illogical but I suppose the reason is that you will not have to touch them.
Is a flex outlet at least ipx4

One with only screw holes likely is - or could easily be made to be.

Is it your view that the outlet in question IS in zone 2 - i.e. it is a shower cubicle?
Do you think it would still have to be IPX4 when the cable just passes through - i.e. outlet needn't be there?

A quick look online appears to show concern about moisture running down a tiled wall into the connections, an unbroken flex would obviously prevent that, but I quess thats not always possible
I wonder if you can replace the fitted flex to a towel rail if too short

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back