protect lawn from building works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning some work in the garden, patio and fencing, and I want to try to protect the existing lawn from the inevitable trampling, and traffic associated with this. Its highly likely that I'll be using a mini-digger as well. I'm hoping the work will take no more than two weeks.
Is there any way I can minimize the damage done to the lawn by all this? Should I leave it long? Cut it short? Is there some covering I can put on it?

Sponsored Links
there's no way you can protect the lawn especially if you run a mini digger over it. Mini diggers are track driven and steered, any turning, and this is inevitable, will tear the lawn, in patches at least and the teeth of the tracks will indent.
A better option would be to hire a lawn lifter machine, which will cut the existing lawn into strips, you roll these up and either store them in a shaded location or and if the works overrun, as they will inevitably, unroll them on a spare piece of ground and water as required to keep the grass growing. The roots will not regrow and set deep, if the works are within a couple of months and should therefore roll up for moving back to their usual location, which should be prepared for receiving it. Don't think you can just put it back without prep., as the soil will have been compacted/contaminated or whatever. By a full year all should be back to where you started, but you must treat the lawn as a new turfed one for success...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
i use 12mm for general barrowing etc or 18mm sheets of ply for min diggers and dumpers.

If your works go over two weeks, be prepared for damaged grass...pinenot :confused:

I would also put down ply, much easier than lifting the lawn. The grass hasn't stared growing strongly yet so will recover. If you can time the work so that there's been a dry few days before you put boards down, it will help to stop the grass going slimy. I'd cut it too before boarding but as it's likely to be the first cut of the season, not too short. And if you can lift the boards even for short periods during the work that will help.

I like the plywood idea - simpler and less hassle than lifting the lawn, and as I'd not have anywhere I could put the lawn I lifted, more practical too.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone..

You can hire the proper ground protection matting, might be cheaper than buying a load of ply, if you have no use for the ply afterwards

You can hire the proper ground protection matting, might be cheaper than buying a load of ply, if you have no use for the ply afterwards

That's not a bad though, as I suspect the ply won't be good for much after it's seen a mini-digger across it a couple of dozen times.

I'd be worried about hiring though, as I'd be liable for damage to the stock, and I've no idea what damage, if any, a tracked digger would do. At least if I trash the ply then it's already bought and paid for.

Will have to compare costs methinks. Any suggestions on who to hire from, in the South-Wales/Bristol area?

I would hope a mini digger would do no damage to the matting. I'm not sure what it's proper name is but I've seen them called trakmats.

I would think most plant hire companies would do them, you'd have to check what sizes they come in and do you need pegs/connectors too

How about if I just dug the whole lawn up, using a turf cutter, and put it out of the way (not sure where, mind you)??

Anyone interested in buying a mature lawn with not may weeds?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back