Too late to lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only major job left in the garden is the lawn - but worrying it's getting a bit late in the year - when is the latest the experts would recommend for laying? I'm at least 2 weekends away from being ready.

Also with regards prep I plan to get as many stones etc off the top as I can (most of which got there from digging other parts of the garden), rotovate and level and maybe mix in some sort of soil improver. I don't want to take loads off to replace with topsoil if possible as the soil does seem fairly OK (and I've shifted tonnes already!!), but want to give the lawn every chance - is that something that would work? If so what is the best thing to "add" to improve the soil.

Bulk of the lawn is fairly shady - should I get a specific type of turf for this?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not too late - spring & autumn are the best times to lay.
The preparation of the top of the soil is more important than the soil underneath. Get all the stones off that you can, and fill in any bumps or hollows that can cause problems when mowing. Firm soil well by tramping (treading with boots on), and rake. Use spirit level if lawn is to be a 'formal' lawn - otherwise levelling by eye is OK. Rake soil to a fine tilth (ie small particles) leave for week or so for weeds to germinate. Apply weedkiller and after 2/3 days, rake off weeds. Apply base dressing of compound granular / micro granular fertilizer - rake in lightly. Leave for few days before turfing.
Buy more than enough turf so lawn can be done in one whole batch. Lay first row of turf along a straight edge such as path. Lay next row with the joints staggered, like a brick wall. Use a plank to stand/bend on to avoid treading on lawn. Tamp down each turf with back of a rake to get rid of air pockets / or roll lawn with light roller. Apply top dressing of sieved sandy loam and brush in, filling any gaps between each turf. Water in very well and keep moist in dry weather (at least 2/3 weeks) till established.
Usually most turfing companies offer various kinds of turf - for fine lawns, utility lawns or shady.
For heavy wear, you want turf with lots of ryegrass - recovers quickly from damage. For fine lawns you want tufted grasses such as fescue and bents which have narrow leaves and can be cut short, but do not rrecover so well from wear - or drought, & can get diseases.

However, most grass is very tolerant - just check condition of turf when it arrives/you buy it - should be green not yellow, free of weeds and rolled.

Good luck!

we lay turf all year long (unless its frosty,snowy or way too dry and hosepipe ban in place. autumn winter is a very good time, less foot traffic, more moisture around for it. Much better to lay sandy loam over the area and screed it off level. gets a perfect flat finish and gives the lawn a perfect start. also a lot less work.

Cheers guys.

Is "sandy loam" just some sort of topsoil? Should I get a few yards of it for levelling purposes only? Should I put down the fertilizer also as mentioned (i.e. one or both approaches together?).

Good to know it's not too late - don't really want to leave it as mud for next 6 months!!

Sponsored Links
All sound advice.

Only thing i never saw advised was: Remove all perennial weeds religiously, while you are taking the stones off the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back