Protecting a door without altering the colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've now shaped and fitted a couple of B&Q Elveden Etched Pane Doors - pre-glazed oak.

The instructions say they must be finished, either paint or varnish (but not wax, polish or oil). The wife likes the existing colour of the doors, so how I can do what needs to be done, without altering the colour ? The only thing I need to do - is to protect it - so the easily method is fine.

It's amazing - but after just 2 days of one of the doors being up - there's "dirt" marks on it already. We must be a mucky family lol :LOL:

Sponsored Links
you humans are so oily and dirty with your primitive skin... you should try covering yourselves with slime like my folk! :mrgreen:

... and apologies if i've missed the point here, but doesn't clear varnish solve your problem? it might make it seem 'warmer', but shouldn't change the colour.

Yeah - your right - I was having a blonde moment, and did'nt think about clear varnish.

However, as you say - despite it "doing what it says on the tin" (or plastic container in this case), it has changed the tone slightly, from a more washed out look, to a slightly "woodier" look.

The wife has been away all weekend - I just hope she likes it when she gets home in about half hour - else I'm a dead man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back