Protecting Metal Garden Sculptures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 metal bird sculptures from Zimbabwe and want to put them out in the garden. They are about 1/2 metre high.

What should I use to protect them?

Is there some rust-proof paint or lacquer I should use?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Don’t worry someone will steal them before they go rusty! ;)

i think they are made of recyclable metal...like tin cans or, believe or not, old cars!

Sponsored Links
ah.

picture?

(see forum info for details)

oh and hold a magent on them does it stick?

somebody is bound to come on and recommend hammerite.

It gives a glossy finish (but is difficult to repaint with anything else) however rust continues to grow under the Hammerite paint film. You will never get outdoor metalwork perfectly dry and rust free.

The more ordinary white-spirit thinned preservative primers are better for keeping rust at bay, even when scratched. Old fashioned red oxide still works but there are others now.

Ok, thanks...

"clear lacquer"? Can you be more specific i.e a brand name? maybe a clear Enamel paint?

also, "white-spirit thinned preservative primers", again not sure how I get this off the shelf or combine?

btw, I don't want to paint them any colour (or red oxide for that matter). Is there is a clear Hammerite option?

wiggyboy said:
also, "white-spirit thinned preservative primers", again not sure how I get this off the shelf or combine?

btw, I don't want to paint them any colour (or red oxide for that matter).

I just mean a spirit-based primer, not a water-based one.Since water-based would trigger rust in the steel as soon as it went on.

Red Oxide primer does not show, as primer is used before the undercoat and topcoat.

You wouldn't like them black? How about silver metallic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back