Protecting ply/hardwood floors from washing machine leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will have the builders soon replacing floorboards with plywood and laying engineered wood on top. The washing machine will be concealed in a corner cupboard with a row of built-in Ikea Pax wardrobes right next to it along the wall.

What is the best way to isolate the washing machine, so that any leak either from it, or the cold water and waste pipes, wouldn't spread all around along that plywood/hardwood?

Attachments

• 20221005_120018.jpg
    20221005_120018.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221005_120114.jpg
    20221005_120114.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
What is under this floor?
Wooden joists under the floorboards. One floor below there is kitchen with a boiler in the corner. I want them to reinforce the floor as well just in case as I'm going to stack a dryer on top of the washing machine – a bit concerned about the total load right above the boiler.

Attachments

• 20221006_073646.jpg
    20221006_073646.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 39
What is the best way to isolate the washing machine, so that any leak either from it, or the cold water and waste pipes, wouldn't spread all around along that plywood/hardwood?
If you are that concerned install the washing machine in a bund to capture any overflows. They actually sell these in the USA, but basically they are just a shallow shower tray, sized to fit a washing machine, with a low point and a drain in one corner which gets connected to the waste water pipe. They are actually mandated by code in timber built apartment structures in somd states (although many apartmemt buildings have communal laundry rooms which side steps the need). I think they are called "flood savers", but it's 20 years since I was over there and I really can't remember exactly what the generic term is for them. It should be possible to build something like this in plywood, tanked and finished in tile.

Sponsored Links
@JobAndKnock thanks, I've found some of these trays online following your advice. Debating now whether I need a drain in it or not, as I'm not so keen on cutting into the existing pipe that proved to be working well...

Your flooring is not suitable for kitchen, there are many sources of spills in a kitchen , all will destroy that flooring .

Hah! Tell that to the architects and designers who routinely soecify laminate floors for kitchens and bathrooms! (A pet hste of mine, I admit)

We recently purchased a carpet from a well-respected local carpet shop. The lady owner was very helpful and gave us excellent advice on choice of carpet. Whilst I was in the shop I noticed what the manufacturer claimed to be "waterproof laminate" , only to be told that whilst the shop sell it, they won't install it as they don't think the manufacturer's claim is 100% truthful. Maybe the fact that I was still in my working togs meant she felt she could be straight with me. Her own recommendstion was ceramic tile and U/F heating instead - neither of which they supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back