Prox Tokens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a quote for a new system (800 quid!) that includes 3 prox tokens

What is the concensus on these - they "seem" like a good idea but I wonder if there are pitfalls?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on what system they are offering you. Some are very reliable some not so much. The idea being you set/unset the system with the prox tokens to minimise false alarms. I'm guessing you've decided to go for the option with a digital communicator and connection to the police.

Thats right LV
I got 3 quotes to update my scantronic 9100 and decided to go for a monitored system
After adding in a few new PIR's and a new control keypad at front and back doors , the quotes ranged from 690 to 890
Seemed pricey to my way of thinking given that there is already a sytem in the house but equally given the three quotes are all in the same ball park it may be a fair reflection
I am going with the cheapest one-not just because of price but also they seem to have a good reputation in glasgow where I am (they are all nacross firms)The one I am probaby going with has suggested a galaxy......

Well from our previous conversations you will know that I am a fan of galaxy equipment so as such I woulds reccommend it. The fobs on those are very reliable and easy to program. One thing I would do though is write a number on the fobs which corresponds to the user code they occupy. This way should you lose or misplace a fob as a master user you can remove the fob from the system. That quote doesn't seem too unreasonable from what you have described. Good luck

Sponsored Links
The previous help you gave me and your recommendation about galaxy's was a key factor in me going with this company-plus I couldn't bear to put a system in which reminded me of that horrendous turd that was posted on our last discussion :LOL:

Check with the police to see if they will respond to an alarm activation - many won't without very stringent conditions.

Besides, what is the point of paying silly money for monitoring every year when the average break-in takes around 5 minutes and the average police response is about 20 minutes? They are long gone before the police arrive.

prox fobs

lets look at it this way.

you hold you fob against keypad alarm starts to set, you leave, alarm sets you go to work.

come home open front door you hold prx fob alarm turns off great.

or is it?

try this

you hold you fob against keypad alarm starts to set, you leave, alarm sets you go to work.

some one nicks your hose keys passes them to scumbag, scumbag has your address front door key and can turn alarm off,

no worries insurance will pay out.

no they wont, its your fault for keeping the prox tag with the keys

moral, dont keep the prox tag on the same bunch of keys as your house key

great :)

oh no it isnt

try this

you have separate key ring for fob, you come home you have left fob at work, / dropped it.

you cant turn alarm off

you cant enter your code because you have forgotten it

you cant enter your code because the keypad will bnot accept code to turn off*

or try this

something happens alarm goes off, you turn off with fob, it then says (in particular a galaxy) call manager reset required you cant reset it becase you havent used the code in so long you have forgotten it.

in short my opinion is dont have prox fobs

(*This is true, since to have an alarm to the latest regs it is programmed not to accept code on entry)

If used correctly prox fobs are use ful for:

the kids so they dont need to know the number (cant tell friemds)
new member of staff / cleaner / au-pair

dont number the fobs, it wears off, if a fob is lost (particularly with a galaxy) you can put a name against each user in the panel, (that is in its programming)

Breezer see sense in some of your points however, as the OP mentioned system will be connected to central station. For them to have and maintain police response they will have to have the system set up so that only fobs will unset the system, install a shunt lock on the front door or in some instances if it's allowed sign a waiver that does not protect them should there be forced entry of the front door. A common method of burglary I think you will agree.
As for numbering of prox tags this was just so the OP had a record of fobs and allocations. I agree your suggestion of texting a persons name to each code will work just as well. Also worth noting the main user should maintain a master code for exactly the reason you mention. E.g. managers reset.

DD243:2002 don't you just love it

Joe 90 also agree with you about the response times however some people prefer the police response method just for peace of time and also nice home insurance reduction (usually). Personally i'd have a dialler phone me and some close friends so we can meet the thieving sum personally. I do love the personal touch :evil:

yep, but this one has bells on.

but this does not help the op.

i suggest the op has one tag to comply, and smiles nicely at the installation engineer and expalins the "problem"

Always worth a go some of us are nice like that ! Tea and biscuits would also help :LOL:

I get it lads-chocolate hob nobs, extra large kit kats and a tunnocks caramel wafer keeps my installer a happy boy !

something like that yes. ( i hate those extra large single kit kats)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back