PRV termination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed on my neighbours combi today that his PRV discharge pipe simply drops about 18" beneath the boiler (in 15mm copper with 2x45 degree bends) with the opening facing downwards terminating about 18" above the concrete floor. The boiler is sited in his garage and was RGI installed.

I commented that I didn't think it was correct to terminate the PRV in this way, so we checked the (Vaillant) installation manual, which states:

"The dicharge pipework should be as short as possible and installed with a continuous fall away from the boiler. The pipe should terminate in a position which ensures that any discharge of water or steam from the valve cannot create a hazard to persons in or around the premises, or cause damage to any electrical components or external wiring, and the point of discharge should be clearly visible."

There are no electrics in the line of fire, the point of discharge is clearly visible and with the boiler being sited in his gargage and the opening pointing down, I can't see that it creates a hazard to persons in or around the premises. You couldn't accidentally position yourself in front of the opening.

Were the discharge pipe to be routed through the outside wall there is not a single point on the property where somebody could not walk in front or beneath it.

I know that manufacturers installion guides don't always tally with actual regulations, so . . . what's the answer?

Sponsored Links
if you are saying it discharges within the garage. it is not clearly visible.

if it were to discharge outside at ground level it would present no danger & be clearly visible.

if it were to discharge outside at ground level it would present no danger & be clearly visible.

Is a small pipe protruding a short distance from a wall down by my feet really clearly visible? With my current back problem it might be :D

if you are saying it discharges within the garage. it is not clearly visible.

That's one interpretation/opinion. I can see it quite clearly. It would be useful to have some straight facts from the regulations here.

Are you sure the bends are 45 degrees and not 90?

Nothing wrong the way it is fitted.

Sponsored Links
Ideally it should terminate with a swan neck facing back onto the wall so it does not discharge and spray over any person walking past at the time.
Pete

Are you sure the bends are 45 degrees and not 90?

Nothing wrong the way it is fitted.

Would have to look at it again to be certain, but as far as I recall they were 45. Glad it's OK though - it will save a lot of hassle when mine is being installed and I'll remember the advice about the swan-neck.

Would a few winds of red/yellow tape around the pipe near the opening be useful in terms of visibilty/warning?

Thanks to Pete /DP

Bloody 'ell your now going to sort your neighbours boiler.
Must have been quick sorting your own Diy installation.

I know that manufacturers installion guides don't always tally with actual regulations, so . . . what's the answer?

Answer is easy, leave it to the Rgi.

Big round of applause for gremlin16. Twice you've replied to my posts and twice you've failed to read it properly and understand plain English before posting your less than witty reply. Would you understand better if I learnt some Welsh and re-posted?

Have I suggested that I intend to do anything to my neighbours boiler? No.
Have I suggested that I'm intending to fit my own PRV discharge? No.

Glad it's OK though - it will save a lot of hassle when mine is being installed and I'll remember the advice about the swan-neck.

The installation manual for my boiler is a bit vague regarding termination of the PRV and routing it to a termination point outside would have been difficult whether installed by me, the RGI or Mahatma-Bleeding-Ghandi. This applies no matter where in the property the boiler is sited. My neighbours boiler is a similar model to mine so I had a look to see where his terminates and also to double-check that I hadn't made any mistakes that might complicate the rest of the install for the RGI. Being able to read English and understand it before acting impulsively, luckily for me, I hadn't.

Nothing that I wrote suggests anything different.

Answer is easy, leave it to the Rgi.

My sincere gratitude to the Department of the Bleeding Obvious for that one. That nut and washer assembly looks mighty tricky and even though I'm pretty sure I could find a big enough hammer to over-tighten it with, rest assured, I'll be leaving it to the pros.

Would a few winds of red/yellow tape around the pipe near the opening be useful in terms of visibilty/warning?
You're so busy picking arguments with the people who reply, that you can't seem to understand the answers you have been given. Spacethegas meant that the discharge from the pipe may not be clearly visible if inside the garage, not the pipe itself. I would have thought that that was bleedin obvious. Well it would be if you'd pull you're head out of your arrs for a minute.

leccy
i've followed you through this & the other relevant post & unfortunately you come across as a complete ( & it might even be considered as racist) p**t.
i pity the guy that ends up doing the job.
those that are quoting under a mill are cutting their own throats.
the moment you tried to tell me how to suck eggs id be gone.
the rgi will take responsibility not you.
but i'm sure i would have worked you out a long time before it came to that.

& yes i don't necessarily use capital letters where required or construct sentences or paragraphs correctly. but i'm not writing to impress, just get my point across. if you want to find grammatical errors visit muppetspace or bebop.

Make sure when you have your new boiler fitted the rgi insulates the gas pipe,some of them tell you its not necessary,just to save a few bob.

spacey
I wondered who would be the first to resort to outright personal insults so congrats on that one. Racist? :LOL: Drama queen alert! So you wouldn't take this job on. Fine. Do I need to know that? No.

Why have so many people felt the need to "contribute" to my original query by simply jumping in to point out in some witty fashion that they wouldn't do the job? Is that helpful or constructive? Again, no. Could it be to emphasise their own self-importance and indispensabilty? Only the people who did this can answer that.

People who find the need to respond to a small part of a response to a response to a response - without properly reading what preceeded it or making any contribution to the original query - are the people picking the arguments. I WILL respond to these people on their level.

Why have you chosen to do this with regard to me pointing out grammatical errors to softus? I'm bored of telling people to read things again spacey, but READ IT AGAIN. It was a joke. Why did I do it? Could it be that he set out to belittle me by pointing out that I'd used the wrong terminology for something utterly unimportant and that I responded to him in a similar vein? Have I done it to anyone else? No. So why extract it here and make an issue of it?

Make sure when you have your new boiler fitted the rgi insulates the gas pipe,some of them tell you its not necessary,just to save a few bob.

Everyone's a b****y comedian. Should I also make sure the RGI puts some tartan warning paint on the flue for the seagulls and uses plenty of elbow grease on the fittings to stop them rusting?

absolutly nothing wrong wih the way it has been done, would be daft to wrap tape round the blow off pipe!

The discharge of water must be visible and safe.

RE your thoughts on manfacturers instruction vs reg.... MI over rule regulations.

Now go and find me a left handed spanner!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back