pscc of breakers

Domestic install I did a couple of years ago..... [42 kA] .... At the incommer terminals:
Is that credible? About 5.5 mΩ by my reckoning - i.e. about 3 metres of 25mm² to transformer, even if one assumes zero effective transformer impedance.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Domestic install I did a couple of years ago..... [42 kA] .... At the incommer terminals:
Is that credible? About 5.5 mΩ by my reckoning - i.e. about 3 metres of 25mm² to transformer, even if one assumes zero effective transformer impedance.

Kind Regards, John.

Probably no to be honest.

My meter read 0.01Ω ohms for the phase to phase loop value, with an incomming voltage of 420V

(I have been a bit naughty and used a TP&N domestic supply here) :LOL:

Probably no to be honest. My meter read 0.01Ω ohms for the phase to phase loop value, with an incomming voltage of 420V (I have been a bit naughty and used a TP&N domestic supply here) :LOL:
Yes, that was rather naughty (I had obviously assumed it was a 230V L-N loop) but I still very much doubt the credibility. How close was the transformer?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I don't honestly know, but it certainly wasn't right next door.

Unfortunately I can't remember the earth loop reading but I'm sure it was pretty low, as we had a longish 25mm² SWA fed off 100A BS88 fuses and the loop was low enough to clear them.

I don't honestly know, but it certainly wasn't right next door.
In that case, it is surely well beyond credibility, isn't it, unless the supply cable was considerably greater than 25mm² - which seems pretty unlikely for a domestic installation!

Kindest Regards, John

My meter was within calibration at the time of the reading and has been calibrated two or three times since, and I've not to my knowledge had any other out of expected value readings from it.

My meter was within calibration at the time of the reading and has been calibrated two or three times since, and I've not to my knowledge had any other out of expected value readings from it.
I rather doubt that the calibrated range got anwhere near the figure you saw (does your calibration certificate give an indication of calibration ranges?)! In any event, if you're suggesting that you don't think it was a 'meter error', what other explanations have you considered?

Kind Regards, John.

Who knows? Infact who really cares to be honest. :rolleyes:
Quite. I've already dismissed this one as beyond credibility. However, I continue to be interested in what sort of (credible :) ) high PFCs people sometimes see on domestic supplies.

Kind Regards, John.

Does anyone know?

If a meter only gives values to two decimal places then would a reading of 0.01

represent an actual value of 0.0050 to 0.0149 or 0.0100 to 0.0199.

As the PSCC and PFC are merely calculated from the reading, at these values it would be quite meaningless, either way.

I know it doesn't really matter but I am just interested.

Does anyone know? If a meter only gives values to two decimal places then would a reading of 0.01 represent an actual value of 0.0050 to 0.0149 or 0.0100 to 0.0199.
I obviously can't speak for yours, but all digital meters I've known or known about have rounded, not truncated - so, the first of those two options. However, it's quite likley that they use more significant figures for their calculations than they actually display.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back