PSU or MB? Won't start!

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I turned off my PC at the weekend, left it plugged in. Monday morning, wouldn't start.

The green LEDs for the disks (one internal hard drive, one caddy with disk, one empty caddy, two CD drives) were on fast flicker; the fan in the PSU is not turning.

I openened the case and disconnected the power supply to all the hard drives, disconnected all peripherals, plugged back in, tried turning it on again, it worked.

I think the PSU fan wa running, not sure.

It worked yesterday afternoon. I tried turning it on and off several times, seemed OK

I turned it off overnight.

Today would not start, same prob.

I disconnected stuff again, but still same prob. Then, it did not respond to on/off button at all. No greed leds on disk drives.

I pulled out the power cord, no difference.

Put it back together, left it on desk intending to get a new case or PSU.

It has spontaneously started working again.

PSU fan is not running. CPU fan is OK.

I reckon it needs another PSU.

Any other thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Agreed, PSU most likely fault

Had the same symptoms on an evesham machine once, basically pot luck as to whether hitting the on switch would yield any response at all or result in a normal boot up. Was under warranty and they came and fitted a new (higher rating as that was all the chap had in his van) power supply and all was sorted

Sponsored Links
got new PSU under warranty (bought Barebones last May), bunged it in, now working :)

p.s.
I'm glad I back up my data regularly! Saved a lot of worry.

Back