PTFE Tape & Shower Mixer Bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, having a few problems fitting a shower mixer bar. I have fitted backboard type connectors to a board between the studs. I then wrapped PTFE tape around the threads of the 's-connectors' and screwed them in to backboard elbows. I have screwed then in as far as they can go and they are slightly off 150mm centre to centre. they don't leak. I then put my shower mixer bar on and after a week of no leaks - i wasn't using the shower but the water was turned on - a drip started from where the mixer bar attachs to the larger end of the 's-connectors'. Why would i not use PTFE tape on this connection? The only reason is that the instructions for the shower say to use tape on the 's-connector' to elbow joint but not on the shower to 's-connector' joint. Is there a reason? I think i may have over tightened the shower and ruined the washer in there so i have bought new replacement washers - but was just wondering what would happen if i applied the PTFE tape to this joint too - would it help or hinder?

thanks for any advice...

Sponsored Links
It's just not needed. The rubber washer is all the seal that's required. You only need to 'nip' that connection up, be careful not to overtighten.

cheers Madrab - already ruined 1 pair of washers by overtightening! i am going to try again this evening and not tighten too much. Will there be an issue that the 's-connectors' are not exactly 150mm centres? i can get the threads of the shower on and tightened - just wondering whether this may cause a drip?

As long as you can tighten the nuts up all the way without them being tough to turn then they should be fine. Personally I never use them, ridiculous things IMO.

Sponsored Links
what are ridiculous? the 's-connectors'? the shower came with them and i am not experienced enough to know i could have ditched them and use a different connection!!! maybe next time!!! haha, thanks again

Yeah, they're just a fafff. Next time just run level pipe tails through the wall at 150mm centres then use these.

images

Job's a guddun ;)

Yeah +1, it would mean getting back into the wall and extending the pipework out, so if the wall's finished then maybe not worth the hassle ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back