Pull Cord Switch Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to replace the bathroom pull-cord light switch with a switch outside the bathroom door. (The dimensions of the room have changed & there is nowhere suitable near the door to put a pull-cord on the inside).

I want to replace the switch with a connection box and then run a cable outside the bathroom to the wall-mounted rocker switch.

The bathroom light has one red and one black cable connected, with the earth sheathed off & not connected.

The pull-cord switch is connected to one cable only, with the Black cable and Earth cables intact, and the red cable having been cut with each end connected to a terminal in the switch.

I am assuming that I have a junction box lighting system, given that there is only one cable involved?

I have bought a 20amp 4 terminal connection box for the job. Although I'm not a spark, I am assuming that it is fairly straight forward to connect the new rocker switch?

I have a fair idea of what is involved, but I would like someone to tell me how they would do it, just in case I am wrong.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i would change the cable to the switch

reason, no junction boxes required

'Scuse my ignorance & naivity Breezer, I don't quite follow what you suggest?

" I'm talking to a right thicko here! ", I hear you say? :oops:

The cable to which the pull-cord switch is connected via the severed red wires, then runs on to the bathroom light.

In order for me to run a length of cable to reach a rocker switch outside the bathroom, I'd surely have to connect into a new connection/junction box?

Perhaps you suggesting that I make the connections via a terminal block?

Regards.

Hello,
I think that Breezer meant that you replace the ( switch ) cable completley so that there is no joint.( As it is not 3 plated this may be more difficult than if was !)

'Screwed' joints, (chock blocks, joint boxes) must be accessable but crimping and heat sleeving may be an idea you should consider.

I hope this is of some help.

Sponsored Links
srrray said:
I am assuming that I have a junction box lighting system, given that there is only one cable involved?
My guess is not - I think that you have a cable coming from somewhere, with L/N/E, the live goes through the switch and onto the light, N&E just carry on.

I have bought a 20amp 4 terminal connection box for the job. Although I'm not a spark, I am assuming that it is fairly straight forward to connect the new rocker switch?
It is.

I have a fair idea of what is involved, but I would like someone to tell me how they would do it, just in case I am wrong.
Before giving up and using the JB, I would try as hard as possible to find where the cable originates, and replace the entire run from there, to the new switch and to the light.

You need a bit of 1.0mm² cable for the job. Cut that cable completely, and connect it into the JB - neutrals together, earths together, but LIVES IN DIFFERENT TERMINALS.

The cable from the switch - put blue and brown to the 2 lives in the JB,

and connect at the switch - one core to L1 and one core to COM.

Dont forget to maintain earth continuity.

Hi BAS,

It was impossible for me to trace the cable back to its origin in order to replace the whole run. It would have required the removal of various sections of the ceiling (I live on the top floor of a flat roofed block of flats, with no access to the ceiling void). Therefore I decided to use the JB.

Hi Crafty,

The wiring you describe was how I thought it might be done. So, given your confirmation that this was OK, I wired everything up and it's working OK.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and ideas (even if I did find some of them hard to grasp!).
:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back