Pull cord switch replacement - help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace the pull-cord switch in my bathroom.
The cord operates both the light & extractor fan (fan switches off when light goes off ie. no time delay).
I've removed the old cord/switch and discovered 2 cables coming through the ceiling, each with a red, a black and a yellow/green wire.
I know the yellow/green is earth and have connected it accordingly. the 2 blacks are simply wired together in a choccie block (dont know if thats the correct name for it but it's a little clear(ish) square which u can connect a wire from either side of & it has a screw on top) which is in no-way connected to the switch/cord, they just hang there and I have connected 1 of the reds to the L common terminal as this seemed to be where it was connected on the old switch/cord (although it's not easy to tell as both switches are labelled differently & the old 1 was only 1 way while the new 1 is 2 way) and the other to L1 or L2 (i've tried both) and i get the same result - the fan operates correctly but the light does not illuminate! I've changed the bulb with one that I know is working. Any ideas? All help gratefully received, thanks. :?:

Sponsored Links
The L1 and L2 do the same thing in a 1-way config, it doesn't matter which one you connect the wire to. If there is only 2 wires, then the lights are connected to the switch output elsewhere. There could be a loose connection above the switch in the roofspace, which happened while you were replacing the switch. If not, try a loose connection in the light itself.

Ok, thanks for that, i'll have a look for a loose connection later on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back