Pulling the main fuse

I think it may come under 25 (1) if you are breaking/making the supply to the distributors network. The seals come under 24 (2) which would mean that removing them leaves the distributor etc is in violation of the regs, although they'd probably find a way of passing the blame to the person who removed it.

Sponsored Links
Why not just phone the DNO and ask them to put an isolator in.

From personal experience, i don't think they actually care about the seal as they have been round my house several times and since i've lived here there has never been a seal on it. I think problems would arise if you were nicking electricity though.

isn't the hones on the DNO to prove you are? or that a certain individual pulled the fuse?

Sponsored Links
Not sure about this but the use of the concentric from the head to the meter may indicate that at some time in the past there was an attempt to "pin prick" a by-pass of the meter. ( not the present owner )

EDIT pin that made a small hole in the insulation that has a name that rhymes with rick

or it may just be that the rec who installed it was using concentric units as standard at the time.

sanj.varah said:
Why not just phone the DNO and ask them to put an isolator in.

From personal experience, i don't think they actually care about the seal as they have been round my house several times and since i've lived here there has never been a seal on it. I think problems would arise if you were nicking electricity though.

Haven't got a clue about German DNOs, I know a bloke who came across some Norweb seals. After a job he used one, someone from the DNO spotted it and he was hauled over the coals for it.

bernardgreen said:
Not sure about this but the use of the concentric from the head to the meter may indicate that at some time in the past there was an attempt to "pin p***k" a by-pass of the meter. ( not the present owner )

EDIT pin that made a small hole in the insulation that has a name that rhymes with rick
I never thought about this - is this why they use concentric cables these days for the meter-cutout connection? What a spiffing idea!! :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
If you've cut the seal how do you prove you haven't stolen electric?
You don't have to prove it - everyone is innocent until proven guilty. ;)

chris600uk said:
I've no doubt that there IS an offence, but surely someone must be able to tell me what it is.
You've already said that you know it's criminal damage - why do you think there's a specific offence to do with cutting the seal?

chris600uk said:
Just before I go for tonight, this is hypothetical, I never work live.
But if you pulled the main fuse then you wouldn't be working live. :confused:

Spark123 said:
Tampering with DNO equipment is an offence under ESQCR, http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20022665.htm[/QUOTE]
That SI doesn't mention tampering, or cutting, or breaking, and the only mention of a seal places a responsibility on the distributor, not the consumer, viz:

[code:1]Equipment on a consumer's premises
. - (1)...
(2) Every circuit breaker or cut-out fuse forming part of the fusible cut-out mentioned in paragraph (1)(c) shall be enclosed in a locked or sealed container as appropriate.[/code:1]

chris600uk said:
You mean this bit?

Offences
35. Any generator, distributor, supplier, or meter operator or any agent, contractor or sub-contractor of any of the foregoing who fails to comply with any provision of these Regulations which applies to him, any person who fails to comply with regulation 18(3), 21, 22 or 25(1) and any consumer who fails to comply with regulation 8(4) or 34(2) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.
As far as I can see, none of that has anything to do with the main fuse seal.

Spark123 said:
Haven't got a clue about German DNOs, I know a bloke who came across some Norweb seals. After a job he used one, someone from the DNO spotted it and he was hauled over the coals for it.
I would interpret that reaction as being anger that someone had nearly got the DNO into trouble.

The bottom line seems to be that the 'crime' of breaking the seal is a myth. Useful as it may be in order to discourage people, but still a myth.

Softus said:
The bottom line seems to be that the 'crime' of breaking the seal is a myth. Useful as it may be in order to discourage people, but still a myth.

Try it and see. Dear Mr DNO, please come and re-seal my meter as I have cut the seal to see what would happen :LOL: ;)

ricicle said:
Try it and see. Dear Mr DNO, please come and re-seal my meter as I have cut the seal to see what would happen :LOL: ;)
I'm sure that they would either (a) not care, or (b) scold me.

Or are you suggesting that you know which law I would be breaking, and thereby rendering myself open to prosecution?

Softus said:
ricicle said:
I'm sure that they would either (a) not care, or (b) scold me.

Or are you suggesting that you know which law I would be breaking, and thereby rendering myself open to prosecution?

Not really.In my apprenticeship days it was always apparently a big no-no (prison etc) for cutting the seals.But in these days of 'soft justice' with some of the things you can get away scott-free for I'm sure the DNO wouldn't give two hoots - well not the call operator on the end of the phone anyway.

Well considering the meter is theirs and everything prior to the CU is, im sure they COULD prosecute if they really wanted to, but Ive replaced the HBC's before when theyve told ridiculous wait times for customers.

How can you tell someone theyll be without power for 2 days?

kevinspark said:
...im sure they COULD prosecute if they really wanted to...
That's just saying pretty much what everyone else has said, without answering the OPs question.

To reiterate: under what legislation COULD (sic.) the DNO seek to prosecute?

And if you think you know which Act or Statutory Instrument, then please say which specific section is the relevant one.

i'm not sure i have a seal at my cutout. i think it may be a sea lion. :LOL: can anyone tell me the difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back