Pulling the service fuse

Thank you and hello. The Rec man was telling me about the dangers of pulling the fuse yourself- mainly getting the whole streets electric supply up your arm. Ouch! He also advised if the fuse feels hot don`t try and pull it out, like the guy he`d been to before me. Bit of a mess on the carpet apparantly.
[/code]

Sponsored Links
So to summarise, you had an isolator fitted between meter and CU for free? Sounds like a good deal (although in my opinion they should have been fitted as part of the original installation. :) )

shavvy said:
why bother doing it yourself anyway? Had an isolator fitted this week by the local REC and its free. All you need to do is phone your electric supplier (the one you pay your bill to) and ask them to arrange it. Mine was done within a week.
Sadly not all DNOs are cooperative. Mine (Southern Electric) said they wouldn't do it, on the grounds that only a qualified electrician would need the supply isolated, and they are happy for people like that to pull the fuse....

I hadn't realised that pulling the main fuse was such a big deal - we used to have a static caravan when I was a kid and one of the jobs at the end of our stay was to go in to the electrics hut and pull the 100 A main fuse for our caravan - reason being they used to get nicked. It used to be my job as I was only about 12 or 13 and could crouch down easily to do it ! Sounds like I'm lucky to still be here.

Then again, probably not as dangerous as the time I wired my scalextrix track directly to the mains to make the cars go faster. I was only 9 and didn't understand about AC vs. DC. Also I thought you needed to touch both wires (brown + blue) to get a shock, and demonstrated this to a friend by grabbing the brown one - I soon learnt otherwise !

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Sponsored Links
SWEB (Western Power Distribution) my Distribution Network Operator say they only fit to new properties ..... Then not always.

No free isolator and/or fitting.

They, will disconnect for independant contractor to install isolator, then reconnect upon certification by spark for work done ... probable 2 hr windows ie. 08:00 to 10:00 and 02:00 to 04:00. ...Possibly same day.. if you are lucky !!

This may be handy for some :- http://www.energylinx.co.uk/map.html

P

[quote="ban-all-sheds]Sadly not all DNOs are cooperative. Mine (Southern Electric) said they wouldn't do it, on the grounds that only a qualified electrician would need the supply isolated, and they are happy for people like that to pull the fuse....[/quote]

Strange that.. Southern Electric is my supplier and they arranged it no fuss at all. However my DNO is Scottish Power. Methinks the cost is bourne by the DNO so the supplier are reluctant to do it in their own area???

Question of obeying law is it? Well, better take a leaf out of the PM's book on that. No British prime minister would ever commit an illegal act of war against a state posing no threat to the UK. If he respects the law, well guess we should too.

It's still not decided what the law is on pulling the service fuse. Breezer says it's illegal but hasn't qualified that statement. Plugwash correctly says that you have committed criminal damage to the seal.
We still don't know and this issue will be mentioned again. Does anyone know the answer?

Damocles said:
Question of obeying law is it? Well, better take a leaf out of the PM's book on that. No British prime minister would ever commit an illegal act of war against a state posing no threat to the UK. If he respects the law, well guess we should too.

Better not ... he carries a smidgeon more weight than thee and I !! ;)

With regard to the seal ... If you do not break it, but manipulate it .. then it is not damaged as can still be used. No idea on the other, although, back in the mists of time around '67 .. had first house rewired, the spark connected up and we were using, next day the Leccy Board guys checked, cannot remember how thoroughly, then refitted seals .. We carried on as usual !! Guess that process may have changed !! ;)

people are going to do it, the best thing to do is to discourage it, other than that at least offer pointer for those that are going to go ahead, so they can do it in reasonable safety.

David

shaggy said:
It's still not decided what the law is on pulling the service fuse.

Unauthorised breaking of Gas meter seals is "an offence under Section 14 of the The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Act". Unauthorised breaking of Electricity fuse or meter seals is "an offence under Section 31 of the The Electricity Act 1989". I suspect that there is a similar offence for water meters, but can't be bothered to look.

Also beware that Section 13 of the Theft Act 1968 specifically deals with the theft of electricity and that Section 25 of that act ("going equipped") has successfully been applied to individuals that have broken the meter seals - only evidence that seals have been broken is needed - no evidence that electricity has actually been stolen.

During 1983/84 Manweb had 1,036 successful prosecutions in the Liverpool Magistrates Court alone. However, it is more common for the electricity companies to simply disconnect the supply on "safety grounds" where interference consistent with abstraction has taken place, or to seek damages (such as the cost of sending an engineer to re-seal equipment) in the Civil courts.

That's interesting stuff Michael and I assume you are referring to this report.
As I read it, the offence of 'going equiped' involves a bit more than breaking the seal because it says this:
The latter offence of going equipped need only demonstrate that some meter or supply interference had taken place, the signs of this interference were entirely consistent with the types of device discovered and which could be linked to the meter or supply e.g. the use of meter bridges, film in meter, black box devices, etc.
Also if a seal is reported as missing the procedure on pages 7 & 8 under the heading 'Flow of Interference Information & Reporting' does not read as if one missing seal is sufficient for a prosecution in itself.

My boss worked for the EEB, they regularly had to disconnected premises that where behind in payment - they used to remove the fuse from the service head, and seal an empty holder back in place - this used to get bridged with copper wire etc to get the supply on again by tenents. In the end they had to kill the service drops from poles, or cut and dead end the cable underground.

Gypsies used to cut cables with a blow torch, and steal the cable for scrap.

I think the penalty for invading someones country is more than that for cutting a meter seal. Anything from life imprisonment to death. Might have to be a bit careful with his future holiday destinations.

Damocles said:
I think the penalty for invading someones country is more than that for cutting a meter seal. Anything from life imprisonment to death. Might have to be a bit careful with his future holiday destinations.

He will be protected for the rest of his un-natural ...
Ex Maggie minister has cottage nearby ..... always know when he is in residence, two M/C gun totting bobbies and at least one 4wd on guard ... imagine cost of that lot 24/7 and how many of them are there around the country ????
Better have minimum age for MPs else we'll never afford them !!

Gypsies used to cut cables with a blow torch, and steal the cable for scrap.
Maybe coming to live in a place near you .... soon !!

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back