puma 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys.

bought a house recently. and the ex owners had warmfront put a puma 80e boiler in. the 2nd night a few months back the pump packed in. so new pump.
the hot water when first turned on is a slow trickle. ive now sussed out that (sometimes) if i turn the tap off and back on(maybe a couple of times) the flow is acceptable. im looking at fitting a combi shower soon so i dont think this setup is up to the job. also the hot water seems fine when the ch is on.

thanks

Sponsored Links
The boiler has a device to reduce the DHW flow to about 2-3 li/min until its hot after 10-20 seconds!

Then it opens to enable full flow of about 8-10 li/min!

That boiler should be as good as any other boiler of the same power for running showers.

I would always prefer a storage tank for showers and baths though but many manage with a combi boiler's limitations.

Tony

The boiler has a device to reduce the DHW flow to about 2-3 li/min until its hot after 10-20 seconds!

Then it opens to enable full flow of about 8-10 li/min!

That boiler should be as good as any other boiler of the same power for running showers.

I would always prefer a storage tank for showers and baths though but many manage with a combi boiler's limitations.

Tony

i think the 2-3 liters a min is the max i get. also when upstairs sink hot is on there is no hot water at all down stairs.

basicly when it does come faster it still isnt the best... ive seen more pressure on a gravity system....

any ideas to check

my post to the quote didnt get posted. Will try again. Combi requires pressure reducing vave to system and check valves to the shower which must be of thermostatic type. You will get better pressure rates from gravity systems with the correct head, but obviously you will require storage tanks and a hot water storage system. Some combis have a built in thermal store, and offer better flowrates. With most combis they will normally serve only two outlets, but each outlet will reduce when both are used. An alternative is to install an electric shower which is fed directly off the cold main. There are pumped versions of these available for those who require a little more power. :LOL:

already have electric... want to do away with that.. the combi is in the loft. would that not give more pressure.

so whats up with this thing . the boiler in the old house was better...

how can i test / fix the problem..

Sponsored Links
Depends what product Nick was thinking... and as for the gravity... God knows what he is thinking.
The mains pressure to the loft isnt sufficient to suport the flowrate. The gravity pressure from a tank in the loft would give greater pressure as it would normally be supplying water through 22mm pipework to the bathrooms below.That is why the old systems could fill a bath quicker than the combi systems..

The reason gravity systems fill a bath quicker is not because they are gravity but because the pipes are in 28/22 mm. The pressure is low but the flow rate high because of the larger pipe diameter. Often 15-20 li/min.

Mains pipework is usually only 15mm and the maximum open pipe flow rate is often only about 10-15 li/min. When that has gone through the limitations of a combi boiler that flow rate can be much reduced !

Tony

What is your cold pressure like? Could it be that the wax capsule isn't opening the valve when its warming up?

Dan

Although in theory the hot flow device COULD fail, its very rare and I have never seen one.

The internal wax element can be removed.

There is also a filter on the inlet to the boiler!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back