Pump and boiler problems - help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi had a problem with my central heating in that the heating supplied to the rads and hot water dropped dramatically. I could basically only run either the HW or CH (but only a couple of rads) in isolation. The HW and CH demands were running the motorised valves ok and the pump was running. The boiler only seemed to fire for about 30 secs in every 10 minutes or so. After doing a bit of digging on line I decided to check the pump for seizure. On taking apart the Grundfos 15-60 it was completely seized and I freed it. The pump outflow isolation valve did not close 100% so I lost quite a bit of water from the system in the process. I put the pump back together and fired the system up. The pump fired with the demands (sounding like it was running but a bit like one of those bikes with the playin cards stuck in the wheel) but the boiler would now not fire. I then added more water to the system to get it back to 1.5 bar but still no boiler. Then approx 5 mins after running the system the pump stopped working. I noticed water dripping from the electrical case of the pump so I removed power and took the electrical casing of the pump. It was full of water and so I think there may be a split in the casing to the electrics. I have isolated the pump now both electrically and from water. I am going to have another look at the pump today. Can anyone help me on the pump (maybe knackered now) and also why the boiler would not fire up when I put it back together. Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back