Thorn m54 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a control problem with a thorn m34 pumped ch gravity hw. when the programmer is switched to hw water boiler fires up but when control switched to heating boiler tries to fire but goes off instantly, switched stat to call for heat pump runs but does not fire. changed stat and programmer problem still persists. beginning to suspect boiler stat but surely it would not work on hw water if this was the case. Any ideas would be greatfully acceptd

Sponsored Links
Does it have the built in control panel on the boiler with a rotary selector switch for HW/CH

no just a connector block connecting live and neutral from the programmer and boiler stat to the gas valve

Providing it never does it on just HW only not even once..I would be looking for a loose wire or connection from heating oulet of programmer(even the pins in the programmer) to boiler connection.... Boiler stat does not work any different on C/H to H/W..
Had a fault once where there was a faulty neutral in the fused spur , bad connection (but could have been anywhere on neutral) where it allowed the boiler to fire up but when the extra load of the pump came in it stopped both working.

Sponsored Links
found the live from the fuse spur was loose fixed it but problem persisted,
I then tried a tempory connection to another stat a bingo it worked on heating, I thought Id cured the problem but when I wired and mounted the stat problem re-occurred, I went back to a tempory fix but problem still there. I will bell out all the wiring tomorrow, may look at re-wiring the system, unless any other ideas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back