Pump and three way valve for y plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Converting system to Y-Plan, which pump and three way valve make and model would you suggest?

The programmer and room thermostat I have selected are Honeywell ST9400C and CM927 respectively.

The house consists of 8 rads, 2 baths, 3 toilets and 1 power shower running off a baxi back boiler.

Cold and hot water flows from the taps upstairs are poor.

Any particular flow rates etc to help this problem.?

Sponsored Links
Converting system to Y-Plan, which pump and three way valve make and model would you suggest?

The programmer and room thermostat I have selected are Honeywell ST9400C and CM927 respectively.
Stick with Honeywell for the valve. Have you considered S plan? It's requires two valves, but less likely to go wrong in the long term.

Grundfos for pumps; Alpha if you can afford one.

The house consists of 8 rads, 2 baths, 3 toilets and 1 power shower running off a baxi back boiler.
Hope you are putting TRVs on your rads while you are about it; but not in the room where you have the CM927. Back boilers are notoriously inefficient , so anything to save fuel will pay for itself very quickly.

Cold and hot water flows from the taps upstairs are poor. Any particular flow rates etc to help this problem.?
This will not be affected by the work you propose; so changing the pump speed will not make the water come out of the taps any quicker.

Flow rates are determined by the size of pipe to the tap, type of tap and the "head". This is the vertical distance from the water level in the cold water tank to the tap.

Check that all the valves in the line from tank and HW cylinder are fully open, then close down half a turn.

Thanks for the reply.

What Grundfos pump would you suggest? 15-50, 15-60, Alpha, Alpha+ etc

Thanks for the reply.

What Grundfos pump would you suggest? 15-50, 15-60, Alpha, Alpha+ etc
Any Alpha will be more efficient than a Selectric. There is also the brand new A rated Alpha2, which is about the size of the Selectric and has all the features of the Alpha Pro, without the big box on the side.

I have a feeling that the Selectric range will soon be phased out.

Sponsored Links
Stick with the Y plan far better and you don't need to worry about auto bypass valves etc.

I would go for an unvented cylinder if your mains is up to scratch, check the pressure which is usually good in this area, and the flow rate.

The advantage is you wouldn't need pump for the power shower.

Thanks.

Any thoughts on a hot water cylinder? make model etc.

Sorry, can't help as I have never had to replace mine. All I can suggest is you get the biggest which will fit in your airing cupboard and make sure it is to British Standards for insulation, heatloss etc and is approved by the Water Authorities (WRAS approved).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back