Pump for bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering pumping the water for a bath The bath has a bath tap with shower attachment which in not very good.

Two options. Just want to canvas opinion from plumbers for the best one.

Currntly there is an ensuite with a shower which is pumped from the airing cupboard (which happens to be in the bathroom near the bath). I was thinking of upgrading th pump and running new hot and cold feed to the bath as well as running the ensuite shower off the same pump. The other option would be to install a new pump in the airing cupboard to feed the bath only and leave the ensuite shower pump as a stand alone.

Sponsored Links
If you want to upgrade any way then you can pump both with a new pump.

Two choices are using a centrifugal pump Plastic ended with a bypass loop fitted or a brass ended pump.

You should use a 22mm feed pump.

centrifugal pumps give more flow and are quieter but not as durable and harder to install correctly.

Brass ended pumps are more durable and more forgiving to install.

In both cases it is normally easier to pressurize the whole premises rather than just the two outlets.
2 bar will work 3.0bar for performance but be carful you have the right cold water storage.

http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/Right_whole_house_twin_pump_2_25bar.html Centrifugal Have to use a flange to connect to the cylinder Surrey,Essex, Or even better Techflange.

http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/Turbo_2_Twin_Pump_2_0bar.html Regenerative do not have to use a techflange but if you use one with this pump then you will get a extra year on the guarantee.

You can use a smaller pump if you just want to lift the pressure a bit.

AM i right in thinking that if i use a pump with the bypass loop i can use the plumbing for the pump which is already in place to feed the shower then tee off to the bath. If so is there any restrictions on where you should tee off after the pump? I would obviously cap off existing pipes to bath taps.

Are the shower pipes 22mm if they are no real problems there other wise use the 22mm bath feed and tee of to the shower.

as long as you keep the bore as 22mm and tee off carrying on in 22mm it will be fine where you do this is down to where the equipment is mainly.

Sponsored Links
One more question. The pipework to the bath taps obviously feed other taps in the house. if i use the hot and cold to the bath for the pump will this have any effect on the rest of the feeds?

Only from the point of view that the pump will come on when any of these outlets are used, if you do not want other areas to be effected then you will have to have separate plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back