Pump settings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a BoilerMate II with a Potterton Suprima.

There are two Grundfos pumps attached to the BoilerMate II.

The pumps were recently changed after one of them died and we took the opportunity to have some chemical cleaner put in. The system was run for a while and then drained and topped up with inhibitor.

The system seems a bit noisy. It sounds like turbulence. Ive noticed that there are some switches on the pumps and I'm wondering if they're perhaps on the wrong setting. Could this be a cause?

I don't want to get a man out just to be told the pump's on the wrong setting.

Should I just change the setting the switch is on? What could be the consequences?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Misread message. Thought it was boilermate 2000.

Boilermate 2's are set during installation to give the right temp difference accross the radiator circuit and primary circuit.

They should have been set in the same way they were found...assuming they were set up correctly

Sponsored Links
Misread message. Thought it was boilermate 2000.

Boilermate 2's are set during installation to give the right temp difference accross the radiator circuit and primary circuit.

They should have been set in the same way they were found...assuming they were set up correctly
So if the bloke who replaced the pumps didn't pay attention to the original setting how do I determine what the correct setting should be?

Can I experiment to see which setting eliminates the noise? Could I damage the system this way?

where's the noise coming from? you can experiment with the pumps it won't cause any harm. Probably only the primary pump that will affect the noise so try that one.

where's the noise coming from? you can experiment with the pumps it won't cause any harm. Probably only the primary pump that will affect the noise so try that one.
The noise tends to come from within the pipes. It sounds like the water flow is turbulent. When the boiler is firing if you stand next to it you can hear the water passing through the pipes very noisily.

According to the Boilermate II Manual page 12, the boiler (lower) pump should be set as high as possible consistent with noise levels and a 6°C drop across the boiler. The heating (upper) pump should be set to give an 11°C drop across the radiator circuit.

Where they get the 6°C from is unknown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back