pump speed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our heating system is as follows we have a gas boiler in the garage, with a hot water tank in the airing cupboard on the landing, with 2 tanks in the loft, the pump is in the airing cupboard.we have 12 radiators,of wich 4 of them are double can anyone tell me which speed the pump should be on its currently on speed 3 and its quite noisy so i turned it down to 2 and the noise reduced, but then my husband turned it back to 3 and says it needs to be on that because we have a three port valve or somet can anyone give me advice on this please and can you tell me what kind of system we have is it direct or indirect, many thanxs

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber but this layout is like our last house. I suspect the 2 tanks in the loft are 1 for cold water and 1 for central heating - which suggests that you have a vented system, ie not closed pressurised. You mention a 3 port valve - motor control valve - which would supply hot water to central heating only, or to hot water only or to both.

It's possible that your pump is getting noisy because the bearings are starting to go. You didn't say how old it is - if over 10-12 years, this may be the cause ?

The pump needs to be on the lowest setting that gives adequate performance.

Many systems need setting 2 for heating but work fine during the summer for HW only on setting 1.

Few systems every need the pump on setting 3 which is almost always noisy. If 3 is required thats usually as a result of a poor design or system fault or blockage.

Tony

thanks for your replys the system is only 6 year old and weve only been in the house for a year and the pump was already at number 3

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
The pump needs to be on the lowest setting that gives adequate performance.
Well said.
If it works on 2 then leave it there and tell him how much electricity he will be saving! :)

Not that much but what does he know.

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back