Pump vs pressurised cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently getting a few quotes for a refitting of my en-suite shower room. Currently I have an electric shower in there so when I fit the new shower system it will require an increase in pressure as my gravity fed system will not provide sufficient pressure for shower I require.

The solution I was thinking about was to fit a 2 bar pump to the current system to provide the pressure required to the en-suite (whilst also plumbing it in to provide increased pressure to the main bathroom which is pretty poor at the moment).

We have recently had some advice that we should opt for a preesurised cylinder as it would be a better long term solution as the pumps sometimes only last a few years. Also as we have a loft conversion they say it would cause a lot of disruption to fit a pump as they would need to get a hot water feed and would be difficult to access the pipework.

The quote for a pressurised cylinder is £1500 supply & fit, whereas a pump would be about £300 for a decent one plus labour which they estimate could be around £400 I am told due to work required to get the hot water feed.

Is it false economy to go for a pump and should be take the plunge and go for the pressurised cylinder which although more expensive might be the better long term solution. Any thoughts?

Also we currently have a conventional boiler although this is 10 years old now we might need to replace with a new combi in the next few years. I am told both of the above solutions will work with either boiler type.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back