Pumping Water into my Hot Water Tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so please be gentle.

Just moved into a new house which we plan to totally gut and renovate. The house hasn't been touched for 35yrs but its actually quite comfortable. The only problem is Hot Water Pressure in the bathroom. I don't want to make a big deal of it as in 4 months we will be changing the heating system, but I need to sort a short term solution. The issue is the head or rather lack of it. I have change taps and a few pipes and got a small improvement but I want MORE but there's no where to put the tank higher.

I have read all the links about this subject and the one thing I cannot find (probably for a good reason) is why instead of raising the height of the cold water tank by 1m I can't just attach a small pump to feed the Hot Water Tank with water at a higher pressure from the header? The Header Tank is quite big so it shouldn't run out and access to the feed pipe is great and there is electricity in the loft as well, so what is stopping me (other than my better judgment)?

Has anyone tried this?
Any thoughts on a pump which would be suitable?
Is it a doomed idea due to something I haven't though of?
Am I totally on the wrong track?

I'd be grateful for any tips.

Cheers, Marco

Sponsored Links
are you trying to increase the pressure at all hot outlets or just the shower in the bathroom?

if its just the shower then you'll need to attatch a surrey or essex flange to the hot tank and take that outlet to the shower.

but if your suggesting that its a short term fix then why bother.

Sponsored Links
are you trying to increase the pressure at all hot outlets or just the shower in the bathroom?

if its just the shower then you'll need to attatch a surrey or essex flange to the hot tank and take that outlet to the shower.

but if your suggesting that its a short term fix then why bother.

Thanks Superplumber, but If I have a head issue how will attaching another outlet to the same tank help? Oh and with regards to why bother, that is because of the eternal battle between men and women and my endless search for a quite life. i.e. Wife.

I like the idea of a pump but would it be OK if I put it between the hot water tank and the shower?

I like the idea of a pump but would it be OK if I put it between the hot water tank and the shower?

thats what its made for, it should give enough pressure to make your shower reasonable.

Yes, pump on outlet of cylinder.
And don't change your heating/hot water in 4 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back