Puncture repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this tyre a total loss? Aside from inner tube fitment.

I was informed that the nail is too close to 'shoulder' for effective repair.
the actual position of the shoulder was subject to 'Ummm ahhh hsss..' and very little else.
Been trying to hunt down specific regs ....

Have read repairable area defined as Percentage of Nominal Section Width Above 155mm to 200mm = 65% ..

My Nominal ?? section is 185mm, which makes my 'nail' 42.5mm in from nominal edge, therefore 42.5 x 2 = 85mm and 185 - 85 = 100 ... 100/185 = 0.54
This means my nail is contained within 54% of the nominal width which is less than 65% therefore ok .. if 185mm is the nom. quoted.

Ok, if my nom. is 160mm as measured in pix, then 160 - 60 = 100 and 100/160 = 62.5% still within spec, but a close call 2mm or so .... So is £50 odd notes for a rule of thumb check. :eek: :eek:

MyPuncture2.jpg

The QF bod didn't like the thought of inner, patch end of the 'plug' repair just encroaching onto inner radius to sidewall.
Where is the old plug and adhesive we used on rally tyres in the 60-70's Never had one blow out of a tread.. buckled wheels n'all.
Another rip..
:( :(

Sponsored Links
Looking at the picture I would say it should be legal to repair. It looks as if the area is 'road contact'. I have had very similar if not slightly more to the edge and had it repaired.
I should get another opinion from some other tyre repairers.

I would ignore QF and plug it. DIY with a metzeler or Tip Top kit. Wheel removal not necessary. As long as it's holding pressure it will not blow out. Much safer than an inner tube, a repair method I would never use. Deflation with a new nail far too rapid. Kits available in motor bike accessories shops.

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
I would ignore QF and plug it. DIY with a metzeler or Tip Top kit. Wheel removal not necessary. As long as it's holding pressure it will not blow out. Much safer than an inner tube, a repair method I would never use. Deflation with a new nail far too rapid. Kits available in motor bike accessories shops.

D'you know I just have not noticed any mo-bike accessory shops around our neck of the woods... but I'll be out looking, I think, you? mentioned this before.
Back in the notso dark ages I ran an 'S' with several of the old Dunlop plugs in rear tyres ... well hammered, never had a failure, mates in local Rally club did the same ... We did, however, follow instructions to the letter.
I wonder if the 'car' related plugs disappeared due to misuse?
Tis £15+ in these parts for a repair these days.
;)

empip,

send me your address details and i will post you some plugs free.. use them all the time, and i agree with other statements, NOTHING at all wrong with that tyre.

I would happily repair it if you came to me with it

Mick.

Mick thanks for the offer...
But not to worry job'll be fixed on way or 'tother today.
I may buy a mo-bike repair kit, but have in the cold light of day, to make a decision on cost/safety basis.
If, and just if ... an ordinary plug should blow.
Perhaps worse, in an accident situation if a wreck surveyor decides the plug was the cause (having found nothing else) then I may be in a bad situation ... all for the sake of an odd repair or tyre ...
Feeling a little risk adverse these days.

Then again .......

You the fireworks man?
;)

empip,

There is NOTHING Illegal about plugging a tyre. I work for Vauxhall and we repair hundreds of tyres each year with plugs.

Yes i used to run a fireworks business as a hobby (Displays not selling to public) But i gave it up in Feb. Health problems.. Getting old..

empip, if you opt for a new tyre post me the old one please!! It won't stay in QFs skip for long (if it even finds its' way in there that is!)

Hey Mick !

Know what you mean about feeling old(ish) :D

I thought the 'mushroom plug 'n' patch' was the only legal plug for vehicles in Uk nowadays ?

S od the local Slo-Fit, I hauled in e-tyres, chap brings new tyre, but uses an official plastic 'rule' to spot the position of the nail puncture.. As I guessed tis just inside the 'repair allowed' band, so job done .. no traffic hassel, saved £30 odd ... in fact the new tyre inc. valve and balance would have been £53.90 ...
Historically I had paid for 1 tyre all in :-
£48.80 08/03
£52.17 04/04
So the price was right, for a new un' suites me sir !
I'll use et again when necessary.
;)

keyplayer said:
empip, if you opt for a new tyre post me the old one please!! It won't stay in QFs skip for long (if it even finds its' way in there that is!)
Hey .. Not that green ... Told the Slow-fit to go forth and multiply.. :D

Sponsored Links
Back