push fit fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was always under the impression that I only needed to use inserts for going into conventional compression couplings - and not for plastic pushfit couplings. But.............I am about to do another project in the house and wanted to check "to be sure" but MANY years back when I installed the showee, it was used with no inserts where it went into a pushfit 90 degree bend.

I guess I am just lucky, but after some 14-15 years, it's fairly consistent luck.

I think the bit which irritates now is that all the different manufacturers use different inserts - and claim you can only use theirs on their pipe. this doesn't help when a lot of pipe has no identifying marks and you want to retrofit.

I admit I hadn't intended on doing MUCH to the shower pipe but the 90 degree bend I could get access too without too much drama. I was happy to pop a couple of inserts in - but how do you work out what manufacturer made the pipe?

As a fall back position (very tempted to work on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it policy), would any insert that fitted snugly "do" - or is there truly some weird difference between inserts other than what colour they are?

Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi

Firstly, yes you should always use inserts. Even if you are going into a plastic push fit connection.

It is advisable to use the pipe manufacturers inserts but I believe any insert is better than none?? This stops the pipe from being squeezed and poss become out of shape and leak. Can you remember where you bought the pipe as they will prob still sell same brand.

Remember, if you are using plastic pipe on central heating then it needs to be barrier pipe. This is basically double walled.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back