Pushfit on compression

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Quick question. I have new taps with 22mm compression fittings (like a stop cock). Can I remove the nut and olive and use 22mm pushfit tap connectors instead, or would it leak??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What I mean is the taps Ive got have a 22mm compression fitting attached so you would normally attach 22mm copper pipe to the fitting itself. The compression fitting is part of the taps.

What I was wondering was, can I remove the nut and the olive from the fitting so it exposes the thread and simply attach the nut from a push fit tap connector rather than using any copper pipe.

Cheers.

DOn't really nderstand what you mean. Obviously you can't connect a compression fitting to to compression fitting.

If you mean the screw on part at the other end (of a flexy connector) then no 3/4" bsp is not the same as a 22mm compression thread.

You CAN do that with the 15mm/1/2" size on basin taps, cos the compression thead IS 1/2" bsp. That's often useful for taps which have 15mm tails. You use the compresion fitting on the tail, and screw the other end straight onto an isolating valve (after removing its nut and olive).

Sponsored Links
So the DIYer bolts a push on fitting on to push connect a pipe????

I don't think I understand either but in short if you have compressed an 22mm olive to remove it you must hack saw it almost through and then put an electrical test screwdriver in the slot and snap it apart, then slide it off the pipe. Doing up a compression fitting is easier than that. You cannot trust a pushfit joint on a pipe with any flaws in it, so one which previously had a compression fitting tightened up on it cannot be used for pushfit. If you haven't already done up the compression fitting then the pipe is untouched and will take a pushfit fitting. Was that what you wanted to know?

Depending on the make of push fit fitting it takes as much strength to assemble it as it does leverage on a good set of shifters to tighten up a compression fitting 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back