Pushing back a retaining wall to increase patio size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post here, I would like to push back a retaining wall around 3ft to 4ft high, what is the best way to attempt this? Once done I would then like to deck over the existing patio and the increased area following removal of the beds and and moved retaining wall?

Sorry if this sounds like loads but first off, is it achievable?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
what do you mean by "push back a retaining wall" ?

what sort of wall is it? and do you mean you want to dig out behind it and rebuild/reform it?

photos might help?

Hi Thanks for the replies, When I say push it back, I mean the retaining wall is in front of some beds and the rest of the garden, I would like to remove the existing wall dig out the beds and move the retaining wall to where the beds would have been.

I wasn't sure it would be a simple case of knocking it down and rebuilding it, what would hold the whole garden back whilst the wall is being rebuilt?

Sponsored Links
You remove a part of the garden to a spoil heap and bank the ground up at about 45deg or whatever is stable.. then dig out the new footing for the wall and build a new wall..
You can try and re-use some of the original walls materials, but more often than not this is a very time consuming process and can be alot easier to buy new and skip the old..
All depends on how high the wall is, what its made of and what kind of finish you want..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back