Putting a doorway through a stone wall . advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 24" random Stone wall that i need to put a doorway through. I have start the task by placing the stone lintel in onside and cut out that side of the doorway.

Iam now ready to cut out and place the lintel in the other side of the wall.

My question is is how will i finish the insides of the doorway as the stone courses on each side dont match up and are fairly random .

I am not sure at this moment intime to have the stone work expossed or to cover. :confused:

Any advice on finishing of the internal ston side will be a big help.

Sponsored Links
From my experience you'll have to put several lintels side-by-side to cover the thickness of the wall. Usually the bit between the skins is just rubble filled.
You can sort out the differences in levels by simply laying a cast in-situ concrete padstone.

You could cast your own lintel, but as you're inserting into an opening it won't be so easy. Plus the amount of steel that needs to go in, for one opening is a lot of work.

Here's a picture of the amount of steel that I used for each lintel, recently:
View media item 37389But I was creating six of them and I had the added benefit of no stone work above yet.
View media item 37390

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back