Putting GU10s in big ceiling cut outs help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been asked if I will fit some GU10 fittings (x4) in a kitchen ceiling and the existing fittings have 140mm cutouts which is over the limit of those special Halogen fittings you can get to especially replace par38 fittings and similar, they normally cover openings up to 120mm.

There existing eyeball lights are looking very tired and are a bit warn.

I told them that most electricians would probably tell them to replaster the ceiling so that new holes could be cut. I do know and have used the other option where you use a bit of batten and cut a disk out of some plasterboard to fill the existing holes and cut new adjacent holes but the ceiling is of a creamy artex surface so that would be no fun and take more hours than preferred.

They know I am usually good at coming up with bright ideas and so want me to solve the problem so that we do not need to use the above methods, so short of making disks out of ply and painting them to match ceiling and fitting lights in those, has anyone got any good ideas that could be done quicker?

It would be a little awkward anyway, finding what tool I would use to cut such big disks anyway and still be perfect neat disks.

What would you do to resolve this problem?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back