Putting insulation on top of wooden boards on solid concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a solid concrete floor, with joists sunk in the concrete, on top of which 22mm pine boards are screwed to, pre 1930's property.

I'm doing underfloor heating, 75mm celotex, then 75mm screed on top.

Can I put the celotex directly on top of the wooden boards with a dpm underneath, or do i have to remove all the pine boards and have the insulation directly on the concrete?

I have enough head height so not concerned losing 22mm if I can avoid the hassle of removing and disposing of all the timber.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Thanks AronSearle,

Do you think there will be any issues with the board rotting/condensation due to lack of air?

If there is no DPM below the concrete, and you seal the top with a DPM or insulation, then you will potentially trap moisture within the floor which will rot the timber boards and that in the concrete.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps.

Theres no DPM beneath the existing slab. I don't think I'll take the risk! The wet underfloor heating and screeding is a costly job so not going to risk there being problems in the future and having to rip the whole thing up.

Cheers.

Are these actual deep joists set into the concrete, or just shallow timber sections just for fixing the floorboards? And are the timbers flush with the concrete floor surface?

They are about 3 inches deep and have been set into the concrete.

And yes the timber boards on top are flush with the concrete. They have been nailed/screwed through to the sunk in wooden joists.

OK, they are not joists then just battens to fix the floorboards to.

Take the floorboards up, lay the DPM and continue as you proposed. De-nail and if there is any great difference in surface levels, lay self leveller.

If the timbers then do rot, it's not a big deal as the concrete is providing the support to the insulation and it won't drop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back