Putting land drain pipe against the house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Don't suppose many have had to do this but thought I'd ask.
The back garden is at the bottom of a hill and the patio gets a lot of water. I need to get it around the side of the house with land drains but there's only really enough room to have them against the house. I'm not sure if this common practice or a no no. It's below the dpc of course and the drains job is to move the water on but there will be a lot of water so I'm a bit unsure.

Sponsored Links
It is common for Aco drains to be installed against a building and if you go for the deepflow version it will cope better than the shallower type.

It is common for Aco drains to be installed against a building and if you go for the deepflow version it will cope better than the shallower type.
I will probably use Acos as well but I probably need land drains(pipe with holes to let water in and out). To move away water that's already under ground.

Land drain is a slower process, not really for rapid surface water run-off, but for more general longer term drainage from a little deeper. Needs a gravel surround and geotextile barrier around the trench.

Sponsored Links
Land drain is a slower process, not really for rapid surface water run-off, but for more general longer term drainage from a little deeper. Needs a gravel surround and geotextile barrier around the trench.
Yes. Is it ok against the building though? It will probably be on the edge of the foundations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back