PVA based wallpaper adhesives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Can anyone suggest where I can buy or name any wallpaper adhesives (URL links appreciated) that are PVA based, trying to avoid using normal starch based ones to minimise food source for mould.

Thanks in advance.

Parsman

Sponsored Links
Starch based adhesives now contain a fungicide...well, the well known brands do

Ordinary solvite or polycell will do a job for you...they are based on starch eithers and contain fungicide

Personally ive never heard of PVA based adhesive unless you mean ready mixed.

Designers Guild do a PVA based one, PVA comes in a little sachet that you add to the paste. Mates doing one at the moment where it was specked and sure he said he got some from Leylands. Haven't done it for years so can't be of more help. ;)

Just as easy to pour some PVA in ordinary paste.

Sponsored Links
Hi Zamps, sure thats come up before somewhere mate, dont quote me cos i am not to sure but I think that it has something else in there apart from PVA, dont hold me to it though I could be wrong ;)

"Personally ive never heard of PVA based adhesive unless you mean ready mixed."

Any ready mixed suggestions?

M

well it does exist my friend :cool: ready mixed is not the same stuff but there are many to choose from. It is my paste of choice cos I goota paste master and its a treat in that ;) I use the albany one from Brewers in the main but every now and again BnQ have a purge on theirs and it goes for a tenner a tub so well worth a look.

DSD...so was it a ready mix you mean't then?...Wickes used to do a cracking one too..and it was cheaper than Solvite etc.

I normally use Helen Sheen, Dixons, Muraspec...and Turners..they are nearly all made by the same company ...only because its specific by the paper manufacturer though

Can you explain please why you are especially concerned about the risk of mould?

Is the wall damp?

Agree about that wickes one Zamps if its the same stuff that I am thinking of then it was good. The PVA one that I am on about mate was the stuff that came from the Designers Guild. It was a sachet that was added to their own paste. It was not ready mixed and I believe that ready mixed and the PVA stuff that I was on about are two different products. I know that someone else does the PVA stuff now cos a mate is using it and like me he hadn't used it for years and we had a chat about it. If anyones still interested :rolleyes: I will ask him where he got it from :LOL: ;)

Ah...now then, there was a company knocking that stuff out a few years ago..it might have been beeline..I havnt seen it for ages though...the mention of Designers Guild doing something like that suggests to me its a bit of a poncy gimmick lol

I once did a job for a woman who worked for them...you wouldnt beleive their mark up on 30 quid a rolls papers...somewhere in the region of £29.50!

Back to the paste..I used to add a drop of PVA to my wallpaper paste..its was suggested to me about 30 odd years ago via a rep for Henkel Chemicals...the people who make Solvite...I dont think theres any harm in doing it..but if there was grief when hanging a particular paper the paste manufacturers wouldn't even look at a claim.

I dont know how successful it was because no one ever had me back a second time :cry:

thats the only time I used it and it was Designers Guild paper and they spec the pva so on their heads it was :evil: gotta say though we had no probs with it at all. Deffo gonna find out who makes it this time round and how it works these days promise ;) :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back