PVA on central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of restoring an old pine wooden floor...
Most of the floor boards were full of nail holes and I've successfully used a PVA/sawdust mix to fill them.
What I want to know, is whether I can use the same mix to fill the gaps around where the heating pipes go through the boards ?
My concern is whether the PVA/sawdust mix will be able to cope with the heat/changes in temperature that will occur when the central heating is running.
Any guidence, gratefully received.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Buy some pipe collars. They are available to match different woods. Other than that coloured silicone.

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

The PVA/Sawdust mix looks pretty good on the boards.
I guess it might not look so good around the pipes - though I'm not sure why that would be the case...
I just don't really want the 'finished' look that pipe collars will produce - and silicon will stand out more than a PVA mix.
If the PVA mix won't appreciate the heat (I have also read that PVA corodes metal), then what about a paper mache type solution ?!

My other option is to just accept the holes - which I guess is the default...

do not fill in the hole you need an expansion gap to stop the "clicking" --"banging"--"jumping"that takes place when metal expands or contracts when badly resticted

Cheers Al.
I was wondering if that kind of thing might be an issue...
I was edging towards leaving the holes anyway - but I think that clinches it for me.
In truth, the holes aren't massively unsightly - it was more that having been so successful improving the look of the boards, by filling the old nail holes with the PVA/sawdust mix, I wondered if I could take it a step further.
I guess the key is to know when to quit ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back