PVC Door creaking on at least one hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have tried oiling the hinges using 3-in-1 oil but makes no difference (lifted up the top plastic cap above the pin to dribble some in). Or should I be using some kind of grease? All I have is copper grease and white grease.

Was wondering if the door is just warping a bit due to the heat, but it's north facing and doesn't get a huge amount of sun and I don't recall it creaking so much in hot weather before.

It also seems to jerk extremely slightly at a certain point when I open and close it, as if something is snagging.

Seems to be the bottom hinge (four in total) with the problem as I can feel some vibration if I put my finger on it as I move the door. The others don't vibrate in the same way (using this method as listening to the creak doesn't help pinpoint the cause due to the creaking sound reverberating through the whole door).

Removed the pin and inspected - can see two small areas of rust around the circumference where there has been water ingress where the two hinge parts 'connect' but nothing major. Even tried swapping it with a rust free pin from the top hinge but it made no difference.

Looks like this type of hinge:

Are there any common problems with these?

I notice that the small 2mm allen grub screw in the middle of the inner edge is missing from the hinge above the one that I suspect is the cause of the problem. What are those allen grub screws for anyway? (note: when I say 2mm I mean the size of the allen key - the screw diameter is 4mm and the length is 5mm).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
One or more of the hinge pins are not in line or in the same plane, theres your issue, the grub screw stops the pin riding up and out with constant use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back