PVC double glazing advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm about to renovate a 1930's bungalow and one of the first things it needs are new windows. This is my first renovation project so I am rather new to all of this.
I would like the windows to be Georgian style PVC as I think it will suite the property well.

I have made a list of companies (both local and national) who I plan to arrange to get quotes from. However, I wanted to get some general advice from you first.

Is there anything specific that I should know about PVC windows?
How do I tell if they're good quality?
What is the normal guarantee/warranty period?
Any advice on haggling?
Is there anything that I should do to protect myself incase something goes wrong (IE, the windows are poorly fitted, etc)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
national-wise, Everest are fantastic, Anglian are good and SafestyleUK are a shower of shyte :mrgreen:

national-wise, Everest are fantastic, Anglian are good and SafestyleUK are a shower of shyte :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply.

I've been told that Everest are very expensive, is that true?

I forgot to say that I will be selling the property in about 2 years so I don't want to spend more than is necessary, but at the same time I don't want really cheap windows as it may put the buyers off.

Sponsored Links
everest are very expensive ! but very good also ! i would ask friends and family if they recommend any 1. national companys i would say are a big no no all you will get is hard sell and a poor job ! go local , try to ask if the windows are a german profile ( the best windows are german), ask about locks (insurance) , are the fitters subbys? (if so steer clear, not usually too hot on quality) and after sales service you should get 10 years warranty on the frames 5 years on the glass and handles/locks and remember you get what you pay for dont go cheap just for the sake of a few £100 !hope this helps rob

I'm surprised it hasn't been said yet, but national companies spend 20 - 30 % of cost on TV advertising,

Usual advice on here is to look for a good local firm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back