Qualified electrician or can you DIY ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have to have a qualified electrician to fit a shower or can you do it yourself. I just want to replace my old one for a new one but wasnt sure if there are now new regulations that this type of job needs to be done by someone qualified.

Sponsored Links
If you are simply wanting to replace the old unit on a like for like basis then you can do this yourself without notification to LABC under part p of the building regs. If you are wanting to put a higher kw shower in which requires you to increase cable size/fuse size then it is still possible to do yourself and you need to notify your LABC before starting work and pay their fee so they can oversee compliance with the building regs. Alternatively you can get an electrician in who is a member of a competent persons scheme to do the work for you and self certify compliance with the building regs.

Pretty sure you can diy as long as the new one is the same kw. If It's an old shower the new one will almost certainly be a lot more powerful and could likely require upgrading the feed cable. Notifiable I'm afraid!

Spark123 said:
If you are simply wanting to replace the old unit on a like for like basis then you can do this yourself without notification to LABC under part p of the building regs.
Which section of Part P excludes this work from being notifiable, Spark123?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Spark123 said:
If you are simply wanting to replace the old unit on a like for like basis then you can do this yourself without notification to LABC under part p of the building regs.
Which section of Part P excludes this work from being notifiable, Spark123?

[code:1]
DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED,

1. Work consisting of -
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
(i) any new fixed cabling; or

(ii) a consumer unit;"; and

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected
[/code:1]

Hope this helps,

Sort of :confused:

Did you extract that text from SI 2006:652?

lucio said:
the new one is a 10.5 kw
This means the work will become notifiable to LABC. You can notify them yourself before starting and pay their fee or if the job is done by a self certifying spark he/she will notify LABC via their scheme.

That's brilliant Spark123 - thanks for the specific information, and for your time and trouble.

DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED .........

2. Work which -
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

i think a shower is in a special location.

Jim2287 said:
DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED .........

2. Work which -
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

i think a shower is in a special location.
So don't go adding any lights or sockets in there ;)

what does lights or sockets have to do with it ?

he cant carry out electrical work in special locations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back