quality of decorating work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a builder dong a refurb on my house I can see a few things happening which Im a bit concerned about.

1. Lining paper on stairs below the dado rail has been hung at a 45 degree angle (ie with straight edge running along the top of skirting) rather than at 90 degrees to horizontal which is how I thought it should be done. He assures me this is fine. Has resulted in a bit of a trianguar patchwork at the top where paper meets dado..... which is now covered in filler

2. Original ceiling paper is peeling at joins. Had tried to stick down and repaint but its not worked. He does not want to take down paper and reline ceiling as house is very old and he is concerned ceiling will "come down" with the paper. Is there a solution or should I insist on it being relined. Crosslining???

3. House has lime plaster which has come away in areas where old paper has been stripped. Larges areas are 30cm across and 50cm high. He has patched these with interior filler and lined over the top.

4. Large areas of filler have been used which have gone lumpy and drooped on the stairs. Am being told this will be fine when sanded down. I thought filler was only for small areas....

Am I being fussy or am I right in feeling a bit concerned?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a right cowboy, ditch him before he does anything structual

Oh dear!!!, can anyone give me some advice on whats the "correct" way to do the above work? so I can talk to him with a bit of confidence as he just fobs me off when I try and discuss it

I have pointed all this out already but he is insistent that what he is doing is ok.

What will happen to these large areas of filler over time.... he has already papered one room covering up the filler.

Also we have gaps between skirting and walls, which he is filling with caulk/painters mate. Should this be done before or after hanging lining paper? Some walls have already been painted without this being done, some have been done before and some after lining and before painting.

I dont want to tell him how to do his job, I just want a proper job!!!

Have you forgotten that you are the employer? As the client he has an obligation to listen to you, you're worries are well founded as his techniques are sloppy at best.
Prior to filling lining paper it should be primed with watered down emulsion (25%) because the paper is porous it sucks the moisture out of the filler. It is also bad form to amend bad lining with filler as if the joint pops the filler will pop with it. It also causes inconsistencies in texture which will probably show when painted.

The filler should also be spot primed with the watered down emulsion prior to a full coat to prevent flashing. Different fillers are designed to do specific jobs. Some are fine fillers for small cracks and shallow surface filling others can be filled deeper. I line, then caulk, spot prime the caulk with gardz (to prevent the paint cracking) and then paint. I rub down the woodwork first.

How did this 'builder' come to you? recommended or cheap? English? EU?

Did he include terms and conditions in his quote? any insurance?

Either way he'd be out on his arse if he was working for me,

Sponsored Links
problem is, he is doing a whole refurb of the house. We have paid 50% upfront which he has nowhere near completed 50% of the work yet. We have nothing in writing - stupidly we have trusted him. he has come well recommended by our surveyor and has done a good job in some things. decorating does not seem his forte....

what do i do? im thinking of pointing out the obvious errors and asking him to get a professional decorator in at his cost.

we have agreed a price verbally but i havent got anything in writing. we have agreed a list of works to be done for that price which is written down
thats all.

Mmmm, you've really stitched yourself up, 50% up front with nothing in writing?! How much are we talking about as judging by the standard of his work you may well be better off cutting your losses as it's going to cost you getting everything re-done properly.
He doesn't have a leg to stand on, his work is poor, and with no contract between him and his client (you) he has not protected himself against you and the flipside is he has not protected you against him.
Run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back