Quality sofa recommendations welcomed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

It is with regret that I must succumb to the inevitable (although I think I've had a good innings;))

After a full 15yrs, SWMBO is finally getting her way, and we're retiring the 3 and 2-seater leather sofas.

I am loathe to change them; they're comfortable, have worn very well, and have survived numerous sprogs from baby through to teens. All I do is wipe them down every year or so, and give them a good coating of leather treatment. They are clearly well put-together, and I doubt they cost us £1500 for the pair.

The missus doesn't want leather this time, and we don't like formal and stuffy....stuff.
Any recommendations for a supplier / make / shop that does durable and long-lasting sofas?

And nothing upwards of £2-3k for the pair, coz' that ain't gonna fly with me (or her, tbf).

Thanks in anticipation :)

Sponsored Links
its not easy, upholstery aint what it used to be!

when looking for a sofa a few years back almost every single one I saw was massively deep and had a low back.

I did end up buying a leather sofa from a local quality department store.....although even then it turned out that the sofa was manufactured in China.

Sofas these days are mostly softwood with millboard glued and pinned on. The days of a tenoned beech frame have long gone -unless you want to pay Parker Knoll prices

the retail park offerings are mostly shyte and sales driven

maybe try John Lewis?
furniture village is ok.

Sponsored Links
All,

It is with regret that I must succumb to the inevitable (although I think I've had a good innings;))

After a full 15yrs, SWMBO is finally getting her way, and we're retiring the 3 and 2-seater leather sofas.

I am loathe to change them; they're comfortable, have worn very well, and have survived numerous sprogs from baby through to teens. All I do is wipe them down every year or so, and give them a good coating of leather treatment. They are clearly well put-together, and I doubt they cost us £1500 for the pair.

The missus doesn't want leather this time, and we don't like formal and stuffy....stuff.
Any recommendations for a supplier / make / shop that does durable and long-lasting sofas?

And nothing upwards of £2-3k for the pair, coz' that ain't gonna fly with me (or her, tbf).

Thanks in anticipation :)

Buy the best you can afford. DFS etc not very good. You are right though you can spend a small fortune on a sofa that will outlast your taste.

Get them covered? Thinking about getting our M&S sofa it cleaned and then recovered. Bought for £700 in the M&S sale and it's the most comfy sofa I've ever had. 10 years on and its still nearly as good as when we bought it. I'd hate to lose that sofa!

Not completely recommending M&S though, as a year or so later bought a loveseat from there and it's crud. Sagged from the off and really lumpy!

Natuzzi if you reconsider leather. Costco do decent sofas, bought a snall sofa for a guest room, still looks good now but its hardly been used. Try made.com ?

Nothing beats leather for ease of cleaning.

Buy the best you can afford. DFS etc not very good. You are right though you can spend a small fortune on a sofa that will outlast your taste.

I see DFS has a sale on at the moment..

Had a great set from Fishpools. Quality design great.
Next one from Fishpools not so good..... But worth a try.... Dansk look good.

Sponsored Links
Back