Quartz Tiling in Cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Need some urgent advise on Quartz tiling.

My dining and kitchen floor is 65sqm and very uneven. The old tiles were removed today. The floor needs to be raised by just over an inch/ inch half aswell.

The tiler said he will raise the floor and level it out using screed.
But at the same time he said dont buy tiling adhesive, best to level the floor out and plant the tiles straight on top with abit of extra cement. He said it will be better as well as cheaper as you dont have to by the tile adhesive.

Also he suggested in not having any grout joints in the tile and said to join the tile together and then have it polished so that it looks like one tile.

Im not too sure what to do and would appreciate some help/ advise on this.

the tiles will be White Quartz with the mirror flecks 60x60.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a complete cowboy job to me.

I would use a self levelling compound rather than screeding the floor. If you screed the floor you would need to wait for it to dry which is normally about 3 weeks unless you use a green screed adhesive then it would be less. With a levelling compound you could tile next day.

Next thing to check is if the adhesive is compatible for the quartz tiles. Most manufacturers of quartz tiles recommend you using a latex based adhesive which is a 2 part adhesive. Check with suppliers!

With regard grout joints you would need to go minimum 2mm.

If i were you i'd get a quote of someone that knows what they're doing.

you can do it as your tiler has sugested but thats the old way of doing it, screed the floor and lay the granite into a slurry mix,
Personally i would opt to use a SLS, then tile but with a 1mm grout line

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Need some urgent advise on Quartz tiling.

My dining and kitchen floor is 65sqm and very uneven. The old tiles were removed today. The floor needs to be raised by just over an inch/ inch half aswell.

The tiler said he will raise the floor and level it out using screed.
But at the same time he said dont buy tiling adhesive, best to level the floor out and plant the tiles straight on top with abit of extra cement. He said it will be better as well as cheaper as you dont have to by the tile adhesive.

Also he suggested in not having any grout joints in the tile and said to join the tile together and then have it polished so that it looks like one tile.

Im not too sure what to do and would appreciate some help/ advise on this.

the tiles will be White Quartz with the mirror flecks 60x60.

Thanks

just seen this thread ..
as jc has said this is the "old way" of tile fixing..
you lay your screed(sand/cement) then float it.
then mix water and cement(slurry coat),then using a old tile placed on the screed you pour the slurry mix onto and it will pour off the tile(so you dont feck the screed up ;) )..then using a square trowel you spread the slurry and place your tiles onto this and fix...

for grouting the "old way" its a slurry mix of water and cement again and this is poured over the tiles and grouted then washed,and a clean off with sawdust...am still doing some jobs this way..patch and repair in old floors/listed biulding etc...

BUT and a big BUT...i wouldnt advice you to fix this type of tile.. QUARTZ.. this way mate,as this tile absorbs the water and can bow the tiles..i.e.lift up even good quality ones..
you will defo need a latex and fast setting addy(white) to fix these,as trumpers said call the tile mfr for more info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back