query re if a couple of kitchen/bathroom jobs are notifiable

lfo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a (hopefully) quick query whether a couple of small kitchen/bathroom jobs are notifiable?

1) There's currently a built-in and wired-in fridge and freezer. If the wires for the built-in units are converted into normal plug sockets for new fridge and freezer, is that notifiable (not sure whether that constitutes an addition to a circuit, which in a kitchen I think would be notifiable, or a like-for-like job as it won't result in the creation of extra power points, wehich wouldn't be notifiable?)

2) replacing a ceiling pull switch in a bathroom (pretty sure this won't be notifiable but as it's a bathroom I wanted to check!)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/info

Sponsored Links
In April the rules change.

Kitchens fall out of the scheme and bathroom work only counts if it is inside the zones. But currently, like for like swaps are OK anyhow.

For 1, I assume the supply comes via a "fused connection unit" (or 2 ?) - this is the size of a single socket plate, with a fuse, and usually a switch. Is this correct ?

If so, then the FCU(s) can be replaced with single socket(s).

This is not notifiable as you are allowed to replace a fitting under the current rules - and work in the kitchen* ceases to be notifiable anyway on 6th April.

For 2, you are allowed to replace a fitting, so replacing your pull cord switch is allowed.
Also, as this is almost certainly outside the zones for the bath, then work in this area* also ceases to be notifiable on 6th April.

* Assuming it doesn't involve the addition of a new circuit or replacement of a CU.
And all assuming you, or whoever does the work, is competent.

Sponsored Links
They are not notifiable now or after April, and even if they needed to be, no one would know or care whether they were notified or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back