Question about drain inspection chamber construction - Victorian terrace house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a question out of curiosity about a drain inspection hole.

We have a Victorian terrace, with an inspection cover just at the rear of the house in our garden.

Can anyone tell me what the base of the chamber is likely to be made from? i.e under the benching/pipe.
Would it be a concrete base or a gravel bed, or is the pipe just laid straight into the ground?

The reason I ask is that a few years ago we repaired some of the edge of the benching, which had eroded away. I'd like to know more about how the chamber is constructed, to understand how serious it would be if it happened again.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

I have a question out of curiosity about a drain inspection hole.

We have a Victorian terrace, with an inspection cover just at the rear of the house in our garden.

Can anyone tell me what the base of the chamber is likely to be made from? i.e under the benching/pipe.
Would it be a concrete base or a gravel bed, or is the pipe just laid straight into the ground?

The reason I ask is that a few years ago we repaired some of the edge of the benching, which had eroded away. I'd like to know more about how the chamber is constructed, to understand how serious it would be if it happened again.

Thanks a lot!
Benching or haunching is usually trowelled concrete or strong sharp sand mortar, depending if it was haunched the same day.

Sponsored Links
Regardless of anything else, it will probably have been better built than most drainage of today's new builds. Some damage to the brickwork/benching often occurs in older systems due to wear and/or the effects of Hydrogen Sulfide attack, but the fact so much Victorian drainage is still working 120 years+ after they laid it is testament to their standards.

All thanks to Bazalgette, who i suspect is @tony1851. Who is also Brunel, Rennie, Telford and potentially the chap who had some input into Stonehenge and the pyramids.

Like highlander.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back