Question about Noggins and ledger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Looking for some advice on the following please.

For context, it's a 7 degree timber lean to roof on conservatory. 6x2 wall plate and 6x2 joists spanning 3.06m.
Wall end using a ledge plate and joist hangers.
Conservatory end bird mouthing on top of a 3x2 ring beam and 90degree angle bracket/nail gun on to the beam

1) does the ledger plate that fastens to the wall need bedding with mortar behind or am I getting mixed up without something else?

2) what would be the minimum anchor sleeve spacing be? Was thinking of just going between each joist tbh. So would use 11x 120mm anchors across 4.8m

3) are Noggins required or will the hangers and birds mouth be sufficient? I read Noggins are needed at any joist where the osb will land so left side, right side and middle two in this case.... or will they all need Noggins?
And can the Noggins be standard timber 3x2 as I don't want them same 6x2 to allow air flow across the roof.

Sponsored Links
1) does the ledger plate that fastens to the wall need bedding with mortar behind or am I getting mixed up without something else?
A vertical wall? No.

2) what would be the minimum anchor sleeve spacing be? Was thinking of just going between each joist tbh. So would use 11x 120mm anchors across 4.8m
600mm c/c is a typical spacing but we usually assess by loadings and type of masonry receiving the fixings.

3) are Noggins required or will the hangers and birds mouth be sufficient? I read Noggins are needed at any joist where the osb will land so left side, right side and middle two in this case.... or will they all need Noggins?
Depends on joist spacing. Trussform don't send out support noggs for their PosiJoists if they are 400mm c/c. They do for 600mm centres though. It is good practice.
And can the Noggins be standard timber 3x2 as I don't want them same 6x2 to allow air flow across the roof.
End support noggs - yes.

Last edited:
If you're using tongue and groove osb the joints don't have to be supported. Square edge boards I've just plated the joins in the past (using osb offcuts) where nogging was not in the right place

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back