Question about Stop Chamfering of oak posts...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having a couple of 2.4m long x 6" square green oak posts put in as porch supports.

Question: Is there a specific width/dimension for the stop-chamfering of the corners? To my mind, if it's chamfered too much it'll look wrong, equally so if it's not chamfered enough.

Just wondered if this query has cropped up before - the supplier is going to do the chamfering, but has held off as he wants to discuss it with me.

Any ideas anyone? Do I say, ask the flat face of the chamfer to be 10mm wide, for example? Really not sure...

All advice appreciated as always.

TIA, Paul

Sponsored Links
im trying to envisage what you need doing,but wouldnt it be prudent to use some gash softwood to the same dimensions with the differing chamfers and then choose which 1 is pleasing to YOUR eye?

dont forget you need to match in to other timbers connected or nearby as well as say chamfers on brickwork or other moldings
but in general 6" down from the top and around 9"-12" up from the bottom would probably look best
but as said personal choice

you could maybe use tape along the corner where the chamfer will be

im trying to envisage what you need doing,but wouldnt it be prudent to use some gash softwood to the same dimensions with the differing chamfers and then choose which 1 is pleasing to YOUR eye?

Good advice Gregers, thanks. I'm seeing the supplier tomorrow and it will be he who does the work on the timber - I'll ask him to show me some examples on similar sized pieces.

Just seems logical to me that there should be a chamfer depth that will look 'right' on a 6" sq post - I reckon somewhere between 12-15mm across the chamfered flat. My eye is that of a designer, so proportionately it needs to be 'right' or as near as.

Thanks again - good call.

Sponsored Links
dont forget you need to match in to other timbers connected or nearby as well as say chamfers on brickwork or other moldings
but in general 6" down from the top and around 9"-12" up from the bottom would probably look best

Thanks big-all, sounds like a plan. Builder is going to set the support posts up on low piers capped with engineering bricks, so the chamfer height will be as critical as the width acoss the chamfer flats - but I like your thinking.
Thanks for input.

Just to add, to that, as you asked what chamfer profile/width/dims. 3/4" - 1 1/4"" (measuring the flat) is about right...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back